Will My Sump Be Powerful Enough?

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
so in your opinion should i get a smaller pump? the sump is a 90 gallon with 5 different chambers just depends] on what media i want to get the guy had it set up for salt water so i am going to get all new media,,,,,,,,and also what media shoud i get? sorry for all the questons but i never dealt with a sump filtration set up before just looking for it to be set up the best it can be........thanks guys
I'm wondering what kind of overflow's you have that can handle that. I have a 210 with two overflows that only handle 1200gph each. With two quiet one 5000's I have to dial them back. My sump is huge and holds a prefilter tray with pondmaster blue mats and filter floss with boi mat. Drips into 2 huge chambers of bio balls then through a block sponge. You could do bio balls, ceramic rings, pot scrubbies or some pond matrix. Sky is the limit with a sump.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Sump is not filtration, a sump is a place to put stuff, equipment such as heaters, pumps, filter media.
And as David R said flow does not equal filtration.
With that pump you have the ability to do a myriad of filtration methods, anything from fluidized bed, to foam fractionation, to adding a refugium all at the same time.
These each could require a separate line that would reduce flow to one area dispersing the energy of the pump.
And you don't specify what kind of fish you plan on stocking.
There are fish that prefer rapids or countercurrent at the bottom of waterfall areas such as Tigerfish of the Congo, or cichlids of the genus Tomocichla from Central America, that wouldn't be phased by the high flow from that pump.
If you want discus or most anabantids, that's a totally different story and you'd need to seriously throttle back flow.
You also have the ability with that pump, to run a number of tanks on one sump, if that is in future plans

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
so in your opinion should i get a smaller pump? the sump is a 90 gallon with 5 different chambers just depends] on what media i want to get the guy had it set up for salt water so i am going to get all new media,,,,,,,,and also what media shoud i get? sorry for all the questons but i never dealt with a sump filtration set up before just looking for it to be set up the best it can be........thanks guys
I'd get a different pump to save on power consumption if it were me, and yes you almost certainly won't need one that strong for your tank. I'd say 3-6x turn over is about right depending on your stock and the type of fish you're keeping.

Without seeing the sump it is impossible to make suggestions on media. Salt water sumps are often very different to fresh water sumps, and usually aren't designed to house large quantities of bio media.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
WE;; AS OF RITE NOW I HAVE A SILVER ARO A POLY ENDLI A 4 LINED CAT AND A FLORID GAR PLAN ON ANOTHER GAR AND MAYBE 2 PBASS THATS UNTILL I NEED TO MOVE THEM INTO A 300 GALLON OR SO TANK.....WHAT THE EASIEST WAY TO THROTTLE BACK THE FLOW OF WATER AND WICH WOULD YOUS GUYS PREFFER?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store