Will this work "Hybrid"

Animal85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2013
Australia
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone that works with hybrids has had any luck crossing a red jewel with an American.. E.g red jewel x convict or red jewel x green texas??

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's not likely. However, you may have some success through chemically-induced breeding. Injecting 2 conditioned adult fish with OviPrim will get you the eggs and milt. Mix the 2 together and place the eggs in tumblers. If fertilization occurs you may produce a new mutation.

Animal85

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2013
Australia
It's not likely. However, you may have some success through chemically-induced breeding. Injecting 2 conditioned adult fish with OviPrim will get you the eggs and milt. Mix the 2 together and place the eggs in tumblers. If fertilization occurs you may produce a new mutation.
Ok, this is way out of my league.. I would not know how to achieve what you said... Do you have any info on how to do this?? The reason I asked is because red jewels are also substrate spawners. Thanks for your reply

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It gets really involved. But, the gist of the procedure is to condition the adults into spawning condition (Male: spawning dress/Female: heavy with eggs). Draw 2cc of Ovaprim into a small needle syringe.
ovaprim.jpg
Place the adults into a divided small aquarium (bare tank). Take each adult into a wet towel and inject each, in the caudal base, with 1cc of the ovaprim. Set the adults into the divided tank. It takes up to an hour for the hormone to cause the male to produce milt and for the female to release eggs. Once you see a good amount of eggs and milt, remove the adults and the divider. Set in an airstone on high to continue forcing egg/milt contact to fertilize all eggs. After 20 minutes, net (nauplii mesh) or siphon the eggs into egg tumblers and keep checking for embryo development. Remove eggs that fungus or turn milky white. You can also add a dose of Maracyn Oxy to prevent fungus on the eggs.
If your cross is successful you should see organ and eye development in a couple of days.

Reactions: Junaid8
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store