Wilmington NC

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
My cousin lived in new burn before moving to Wilmington, I kept my eye out for fish shops last time I was down there and didn't find anything better then petsmart

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BASSTIAN182

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
NC
We have one private pet store in Wilm. which is Coastal Reef, and then all 3 of the generic bs stores Petco, Petsmart, and Pet Super Market. Although, the manager will order you whatever you want from Pet Super Market if it's on his list (SunPet). We have a bad *** pet store in Wake Forest, 2 hour drive. I know all the guys at Coastal Reef though, they are good dudes and will order whatever you want.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I lived in Charlotte for a few years and know just southwest of Charlotte is a good fish store by the name of Fintastic. I haven't lived down there since '09, but I imagine they would still be in business, as they were by far the best in the area. I'm also not sure how far that is from Wilmington, but it's worth the trip if they have what you'd be looking for at the time. They had healthy and good quality fish at reasonable prices, and a helpful staff. Check them out if it's not too far for you.

They are still in business, here's their website so you can get an idea of what they have/carry-
http://www.fintastic.us/

BASSTIAN182

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
NC
I lived in Charlotte for a few years and know just southwest of Charlotte is a good fish store by the name of Fintastic. I haven't lived down there since '09, but I imagine they would still be in business, as they were by far the best in the area. I'm also not sure how far that is from Wilmington, but it's worth the trip if they have what you'd be looking for at the time. They had healthy and good quality fish at reasonable prices, and a helpful staff. Check them out if it's not too far for you.

They are still in business, here's their website so you can get an idea of what they have/carry-
http://www.fintastic.us/

Wow, I forgot that place was out there. Me and my gf went out there a couple years back and we're blown away by there salt water section but they were down sizing freshwater because they said they weren't making any money on f.w. That is a very impressive store!

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Even when I was there in '09, their saltwater blew away their freshwater. I saw a recent tour of the store on youtube, and you are right, they did downsize the freshwater section. But, I'm fairly certain they would be able to get anything a customer wanted as far as freshwater. They still had TONS of freshwater plants, too. It is a cool fish store and the only one like it in the area, worth a road trip if you're not too close.

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Ok cool thanks guys im just into exotic freshwater but would need a shop to help with some filtration and media and stuff like that food ect.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I lived near Wilmington for two years back in 98-99. I did not know of fish shops but can say that there was a public aquarium on the penisula south of Wilmington. It was not he best i have ever seen but worth a visit. There is also a nice public beach in that area where hwy 421 ends in the ocean. You can also take a ferry from there to Southport NC. It is a decent ferrry ride and does not last too long. It is around a 20-30 mile drive from Southport back to Wilmington.

Southport was a nice small town on the brackish part of the Cape Fear. I stayed at Boiling Springs Lakes which is about seven miles from Southport. One of the things I enjoyed most was the seafood and I hope good food is still available. A couple of good resturants were in the Southport and Long Beach area. There is a golf course a few miles north of Southport where native pitcher plants grew wild. The plants are protected so cannot be picked.

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Yes I've been there to the aquarium I think it was called fort fisher aquarium it was ok, I'm from Chicagoland area so I'm use to the shedd aquarium which puts fort fisher to shame lol but it was still nice.

BASSTIAN182

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
NC
Yes I've been there to the aquarium I think it was called fort fisher aquarium it was ok, I'm from Chicagoland area so I'm use to the shedd aquarium which puts fort fisher to shame lol but it was still nice.
Your being way too nice about it. I went a couple months back because my fam. was down for the weekend and looking for something to do. I have been in pet stores with nicer setups then our Ft. Fisher aquarium. I go at least once a year to support the cause as they do a lot of work with local sea turtles, and they have a large sea horse breeding program. But from a spectacle stand point it is hands down the smallest, and least impressive aquarium you will ever see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store