Winter feeding, or not?

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
When should I stop/slow down feeding? Should I completely stop feeding at some point? How long can fish go without food in cold water. Temps are fluxuating alot right now. I have a catfish and some bass in a 500 gallon pond. Thanks

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Stop at 45 degrees!!!

Fish cannot properly metabolise food beyond that causing bloat and other aliments.

My temp. to food ratio is....
65+ 2-3 times daily w/a high protein, growth and color formula.
55-60 1-2 times daily w/above food.
50-55 Once a day, skipping everyother day.
45-50 Once every two or three days w/a low protein, high fiber diet.

This schedule is reversed in the spring starting w/low protein and increasing as the temps. rise.

Below 45 stop feeding all together. In the fall when temps. get around 65-70, I start mixing in some heavy proteins in the form of worms, krill, and other meaty items. This conditions the fish and allows them to get enough fat stored for a long winter. Fish will have always have something to eat in the form of algae or other micro-organisms when the feeding stops should the get hungry.

hankn

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
My schedule:

- under 12c - no feeding
12-15c - 1x every 2 days
15-19c - 1x every day
20+ - 2-3x a day

I would not feed fish under 50F. The food will spoil in their gut causing them to possibly die.

COLDasICE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2008
Northern Illinois
I always stop around the 55 degree mark. I keep comets and KOI which are very hardy. 500 gals seems a bit small for some bass...How deep is it and how low do temps get where you are? You may need a floating heater and/or bubbler to keep the ice open if temps get down to freezing.

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
it rarely gets below freezing. only a few days a ear. IM in south Texas. its 2 feet deep, turnover is about 1.5 times an hour

ChrisGray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Michigan
i would not feed them anything when water drops below 50 degrees. their metabolism slows down too much at this point and they would be able to digest food and then they get gut rot. i wouldnt risk it

88GT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2007
Texas
what about the fluxuation? Its been getting below 50 and then it will warm up again. do I feed when it gets warm again?

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Not if it is going to drop at night. If the temps. stay above for a few days maybe, but I wouldn't risk it. The fish may come to the surface and beg for food, but to be safe refrain.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store