Wisconsin/Illinois discussion

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I lived in WI, I belonged to the Milwaukee Aquarium Society, and the Greater Chicago Cichlid Assn.
Most fish I acquired came from the meetings and auctions they both held, or just from other members.
The GCCA has 2 major weekends each year with auctions (and if I remember right, as does MAS twice per year.
You don't need to be a member to attend those auctions.
I must admit I seldom went to LFSs, because the events both held filled my tanks (20) over the years.
I started going to MAS auctions, long before I became a member, same with the gcca.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
When I lived in WI, I belonged to the Milwaukee Aquarium Society, and the Greater Chicago Cichlid Assn.
Most fish I acquired come from the meetings and auctions they both held, or just from other members.
The GCCA has 2 major weekends each year with auctions (if I remember right, as does MAS twice per year.
You don;t need to be a member to attend the auctions.
I must admit I seldom went to LFSs because the events both held filled my tanks (20) over the years.
I started going to MAS auctions, long before I became a member, same with the gcca.
Right on I attended one of those in the past! I completely forgot about that association as I thought I was going to be retired from fish keeping so I deleted all of my stuff. I remember this one guy I bought my wolf fish from He was a vendor there. I actually reached out to him but he said he's no longer selling fish anymore so it will be good to get back with that association. Thanks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Besides the auctions, each club has swap meets (more like events where members sell fish they breed, than swap).
And once you attend a few, you get to know breeders that have the kind of fish you like.
And there are usually mini auctions at regular club meetings where members bring species of fish to BAP (breeders award program) or plants they have a glut of.
And breeders will post in the club classifieds, so if you don;t want to use the auction bid process, you can talk to breeders directlly and negotiate with them to bring species you want to pick up at the club events.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Besides the auctions, each club has swap meets (more like events where members sell fish they breed, than swap).
And once you attend a few, you get to know breeders that have the kind of fish you like.
And there are usually mini auctions at regular club meetings where members bring species of fish to BAP (breeders award program) or plants they have a glut of.
And breeders will post in the club classifieds, so if you don;t want to use the auction bid process, you can talk to breeders directlly and negotiate with them to bring species you want to pick up at the club events.
I'm trying to join greater Chicago cichlid club on Facebook because I believe that's where all the action is nowadays compared to years ago when it was on there site. They haven't accepted my invitation yet.

Any other clubs you recall in this area?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I also belonged since the early 90s, (and still belong) to the American Cichlid Assn.
Belonging to it and beside getting their quarterly on-line magazine (The Buntbarshe Bulletin)
IMG_3804.jpeg
you get access to the Cicchlid Room Companion, (possibly one of the greatest cichlid resources available) and with membership you get monthly posts about what cichlid breeders around the country have available.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I also belonged since the early 90s, (and still belong) to the American Cichlid Assn.
Belonging to it and beside getting their quarterly on-line magazine (The Buntbarshe Bulletin)
View attachment 1538418
you get access to the Cicchlid Room Companion, (possibly one of the greatest cichlid resources available) and with membership you get monthly posts about what cichlid breeders around the country have available.
Very cool!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store