WOO HOO 3 inch aro

dougefresh

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Delaware
are they real hard to keep at this age? i heard its hard because they are so young .........i saw a 3-4 inch one at my lfs today for 18 bucks and was really tempted to get it but i heard they were hard to keep at such a small size......is it true?

Eric L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2006
washington
Yaaaa, I got my 3 inch Aro today. $29.99. His tail fin was a little tattered though. The lfs told me he jumped out of his tank into a puffer tank and they nipped him a bit. But all else looks fine. A little on the skinny side though. I trierd feeding him some mollys, bit no deal, then tried flake, nothing doing. So I tossed a piece of krill in, he snapped at it and missed. I then dangle one above him and he gulped it right as I let go. I can hold my hand in the tank and after about 15 secoonds he will come and swim right up to my hand, way cool man. So one piece of krill today, hopefully more tomorrow. Pics will come monday when i get my cam back. :headbang2 :headbang2
Lol, I do the same thing with the accidental products of my community tank. it creates ample fun for my rays, aro and oscars.

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
Sweet sounds like you're off to a good start ,babies are a little harder to keep, sounds like you 2 are bonding already, :woot:

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Thanks all for the :thumbsup: I am doing something lately without realizing it and that is taking the cool fish at the lfs that are battered and torn up and nursing them back to health. That is how my aro was, all tattered and weak, now he is beatiful and growing healthy, same with my gar and puffer. I like the underdog fish I guess.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Oh and saving all the poor clown loaches from petsmart, those guys get there all torn up, and the dragon fish, oh, dont even get me started on that mess. There heads are 3 times the size of their bodies. they just sit and starve there.

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Oh and saving all the poor clown loaches from petsmart, those guys get there all torn up, and the dragon fish, oh, dont even get me started on that mess. There heads are 3 times the size of their bodies. they just sit and starve there.
Hikari Carnivore pellets! Feed me Hikari Carnivore pellets. And yeah, I started mine out hand feeding when he was a little tyke, till he got bigger and bigger and CHOMP, so I toss them hard in the water and he catches them like a dog. 6 mos of training....he's over 18" now, a year old.

Petco is awful, I don't buy fish there (I applaud your humanitarianism) but if you get fish there QUARANTINE I had a friend lose a large aro due to a petco fish giving it a fatal disease. Sure fun to see all the fish there, I'll umm take one of everything in the fish section please?

kody1192

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Illinois
Congrats! Try the Hikari Arowana pellets. You might need to break it into smaller pieces for your fish though.
my black arow loves these he ate the the first day after never eating them before and at night when the lights are he will swim down to the bottom and gobble up blackworms(i think he eats the shrimp pellets too)
my point of quting your post is if you break them they will sink to the bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store