Working for Petco.......

DCOWBOYS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
Where the Parachromis roam...
I took this job for extra cash for xmass,here is the shortened story.I was there for 3 days,1st day i was told during training that making the customers happy was priority #1,so on day #2 a gentilman walks into the fish department asking if it would be possible to house a Salvini Cichlid with smaller Angelfish in a 20 gal long,i answered honestly and said i would not go that route,i would try a Severum instead if he wanted a normal cichlid,and then yesterday a woman and her daughter came in and wanted to buy a Pacu and a Jack Dempsey,i asked what sized tank they had and i was told a 40 gal tank,i told them these fish would last in this tank for about 2 monthes max,so they left without purchasing the fish.I got called into the office but this 20 yr old kid and was yelled at,not talked too about how i cost the store 2 sales in the last 2 days.I reminded the manager that i was told that the customers happineness was most important,and what i was told next just about floored me"what we mean by that is,make them feel happy about what they are purchasing,not matter what)So i guess as far as these big chain stores go"Customers Happiness" really means store making money and screwing customer over.Well i told the manager i thought the store policy sucked,that he sucked and to stick with hiring 16 yr olds who dont care or know any better,i dont see how anybody who keeps fish seriously or even cares about fish could ever work for one of these chain stores.Sorry about the vent.:eek:

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
Don't apologize for venting, you did the right thing! Do you still have the job? I think you did great, even pointing a Customer in a better direction. This way, you still get a sale and the Customer is better off (if they buy your recommendation that is).

If I had a store, I would have rather seen you handle it the way you did than to sell something that won't work out for the Customer. Maybe that's why I don't own a store though either ;)

Nice job...

DCOWBOYS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
No i was fired for swearing at the manager,i shouldnt have said what i said about hiring 16yr olds because i know some that know more about fish than me,but there is just so much indifference in that store the employees could care less about the animals,they lost thier license to sell dogs 2 yrs ago,i swear thier ferrets hadnt moved in the 3 days i was there.The company needs to hire Adults to run each department who know and care about what they do.

bolivianbaby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2010
Flowery Branch GA
I'm sorry you lost your job, but you did the right thing.

IMO-happy customers mean happy healthy fish and Petco needs to realize that. They make more money in the long run with correct information because many people, when given correct information, start with one tank and expand into others.

DCOWBOYS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
rain21;4675095; said:
u did the right thing, even if the customer bought the fish, they wont be satisfied with their purchase for along time
Yes,and i would be forever worried that the customer would always blame me.:irked:

B_IN_SD

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2006
Sturgis S.D.
IMO that is what is wrong with the chain stores $$$ before the health of the livestock. You did the CORRECT thing. If they have a problem with that then it is thier problem only. Send an email to thier corporate offices asking if it is thier policy to house fish in an inhumane fashion and see what response you get.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
You did awesome. You are awesome and any pet store that has policies like what you described is not.

Thank you. In the name of each fish that you spared from poor conditions, I thank you.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
Good for you man, you did the right thing.

I personally do not use Petco for my own reasons from things I have seen. I will go out of my way to not use Petco. The corporation attitude disgusts me.

convictpleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2010
weld, colorado
How much did it pay?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store