World's oldest Clown Loaches reach 30 years of age.

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Wow! My six Clown Loaches have made it to 30 years of age!

30 year old Clown Loaches Steve Joul resized.jpg

When I bought them in January 1995 people claimed to know they lived around 10 years. Even today some websites still say this and there is a lot of incorrect information on the internet.

Many people don't really know how old their Clown Loaches are as they are not the first owner but I've been lucky enough to rear these from their purchase as (I believe) one year old imported specimens.

I have never lapsed in their care. They have grown in a six foot aquarium and the largest fish is 11.5 inches total length.

The only thing that threatened them was the Whitespot that they brought with them when I first took them home.

These were the fish I always wanted since I saw them in a book when I was a child.

14.01.01 Chromobotia macracanthus Clown Loach 6' aquarium Steve Joul.JPG

It's a great milestone.

But there is hopefully more. The journey goes on.

It’s been great being on this forum, so informative and entertaining so thanks.

Happy New Year to you all and I wish you all the best with your fish.

Chromobotiamacracanthus.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The thing I find amazing about those pictures is they don't even look old!

Really old fish usually have that haggard look about them, faded colours, split fins, cloudy eyes, you can just tell they're ancient.

That suggests to me that yours have a fair way to go yet, which is ridiculous!! Another five, even ten years? Extraordinary.

What's their activity levels like? Do they still feed avidly? Is there anything about them that suggests that they are slowing down?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
That’s incredible! Can you post a pic of your whole group and have they ever bred for you?

GREENWOOD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2023
Wow! My six Clown Loaches have made it to 30 years of age!

View attachment 1532821

When I bought them in January 1995 people claimed to know they lived around 10 years. Even today some websites still say this and there is a lot of incorrect information on the internet.

Many people don't really know how old their Clown Loaches are as they are not the first owner but I've been lucky enough to rear these from their purchase as (I believe) one year old imported specimens.

I have never lapsed in their care. They have grown in a six foot aquarium and the largest fish is 11.5 inches total length.

The only thing that threatened them was the Whitespot that they brought with them when I first took them home.

These were the fish I always wanted since I saw them in a book when I was a child.

View attachment 1532822

It's a great milestone.

But there is hopefully more. The journey goes on.

It’s been great being on this forum, so informative and entertaining so thanks.

Happy New Year to you all and I wish you all the best with your fish.

View attachment 1532823

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store