Worm Bedding substrate Question?

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
I just bought 500 worms in "worm Bedding" is that substrate okay? I just got sick of the Dirt!

009th.jpg

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
depending on where you got it from its most likely broken down newspaper and a mixture of a vegetable compost such as mushroom compost. its cheap and worms break it down eagerly. it should be fine. but it'll turn into castings when they are done breaking it down anyways.. so it might just go back to that unwanted ddirt lmfao

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I used garden dirt before. The garden was never treated with fertilizers or pesticides. Won't peat affect the pH?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
there isnt really anything wrong with feeding newspaper. if you are afraid if what you feed your pets you should see what companies feed your livestock. as long as the newspaper isnt glossy, you are fine. try to keep it black and white though. you can use peat, but it wont affect the ph of water. it'll affect your garden.

mattfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Michigan
well, i gotta say, the worms are still alive and its been awhile now. im only feeding 2 rays so the last batch of worms that came in dirt would be white and moldy by now BUT the substrate in with this batch has kept them alive and healthy MUCH LONGER! Just thought i would give an update! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store