Worm or Feeder Fish Breeding Setup?

Which is better for providing the occasional treat of live food for several species of larger fish (

• Total voters

RoxburyWoodsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Which is better for providing the occasional treat of live food for several species of larger fish (oscars, clown knife, bichirs, Barbs..etc) and a more consistent dietary supplement for a red hi fin wolf fish? Starting thoughts are feeder tank will look more attractive and interesting in the house but worm farm will be more efficient. Thoughts?

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Which is better for providing the occasional treat of live food for several species of larger fish (oscars, clown knife, bichirs, Barbs..etc) and a more consistent dietary supplement for a red hi fin wolf fish? Starting thoughts are feeder tank will look more attractive and interesting in the house but worm farm will be more efficient. Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum.

I'm a great fan of worms, and so are my fish! I have an extremely low maintainance wormery at the bottom of the garden. It supplies me with more worms than my fish could ever eat and seen as I like to do a spot of fishing once in a while it's great for bait too. All I have to do to keep the worms there is to feed it with kitchen scraps, old newspaper and garden waste once in a while.

I don't have predatory fish so feeders I can't really comment on. I doubt i'd feed live fish even if I did have predators to tell you the truth.

Reactions: Rob909 and tlindsey

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
What are you keeping that you want to feed live to?
I have a group of mollies in my tank that breed and feed my eel... the adult mollies are too big for the eel to eat so the fry are constantly comeing

RoxburyWoodsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Thank you esoxlucius! I really like the idea of worms but I’d want to set up a breeder box in the basement so I can have them in the winter. I’m glad to hear your fish like them.

RoxburyWoodsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
What are you keeping that you want to feed live to?
I have a group of mollies in my tank that breed and feed my eel... the adult mollies are too big for the eel to eat so the fry are constantly comeing
I have a hi fin wolf fish that I recently purchased that I want to feed a combination of purchased (frozen seafood) and live feeders/worms every once in a while to vary the diet. I also have a clown knife, oscars, Bichir, and tinfoil barns that I have feeding on massivore pellets. So I’d like to supplement there diet with the worms or feeders infrequently as well. Not all are in the same tank by the way.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a hi fin wolf fish that I recently purchased that I want to feed a combination of purchased (frozen seafood) and live feeders/worms every once in a while to vary the diet. I also have a clown knife, oscars, Bichir, and tinfoil barns that I have feeding on massivore pellets. So I’d like to supplement there diet with the worms or feeders infrequently as well. Not all are in the same tank by the way.
Welcome aboard
Most of my fish go nuts for worms that I collect for free on my driveway after a rain storm or down pour. I personally wouldn't feed live feeder fish from the LFS they can carry parasites and harmful pathogens. Raising feeders yourself would be a much safer way imo.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

RoxburyWoodsman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2020
Welcome aboard
Most of my fish go nuts for worms that I collect for free on my driveway after a rain storm or down pour. I personally wouldn't feed live feeder fish from the LFS they can carry parasites and harmful pathogens. Raising feeders yourself would be a much safer way imo.
I agree about the feeders. I was planning to breed them if I went that route. Thank you for your input.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store