Worried about my new Teugelsi

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
I got a baby tuegelsi about 5 days ago and im kinda starting to worry about him, for he is always at the top of the tank. He is about 3 inches long atm and is with a delhezi and a sen which are 5 and 6 inches respectively. The reason i'm worrying is that i've never had a poly stay at the top of a tank like this for the first couple days he was on the bottom but these last three he has been on the top the whole time. Is it because i've got bigger polys with him or that maybe he likes it up near the floating plants? also he is eating floating pellets. Sorry if these questions seem dumb i'm just worried :p

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Perfectly normal. It's a natural behaviour for juvi bichirs. I think it's an survival instant in the wild for it to blend in with the floating plants.
When my bichirs were small, i was also very worried about my bichirs floated on the top of the tank, especially when it was floating at an weird angle. I thought it was bloat or the swim bladder disease but it was thankfully not. Don't worry. The bichir will stop floating at the top of the tank at approxamately 4 to 5 inches or so.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Perfectly normal. It's a natural behaviour for juvi bichirs. I think it's an survival instant in the wild for it to blend in with the floating plants.
When my bichirs were small, i was also very worried about my bichirs floated on the top of the tank, especially when it was floating at an weird angle. I thought it was bloat or the swim bladder disease but it was thankfully not. Don't worry. The bichir will stop floating at the top of the tank at approxamately 4 to 5 inches or so.
Thanks! This certainly helps :)

check out the sticky about their behavior. very helpful
I have read the stickies, but ive never had a poly do this before, thanks.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
When I got my baby teugelsi it would also float at the top of the tank for the first day. He did not eat for 3 days and on his forth day he took his first bite. Teugelsi seem to be shy when small. Just keep an eye on him to make sure he won't get pick on. Once he gain more size he will hang out in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Same here. My baby teugs floated for a few days but now cruise the bottom looking or pellets :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have 2 bichirs that like to stick to the overflows. WTF?????? One I have had for over a year and is 11" long. (a del)

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I have 2 bichirs that like to stick to the overflows. WTF?????? One I have had for over a year and is 11" long. (a del)
Same with mine. i'm guessing they just want a place to hide.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
LOL.......I don't think being on the front side of the overflow at the top is hiding. I thought it was the water flow it liked at first. Now I have 3 1600 GPH circulation pumps on the bottom to move poop and she stays away from them mostly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store