Would Crayfish be Safe with Large Vampire Shrimp and Discus?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I was thinking about adding a crayfish to my tank and wondered if it would be okay with my Raphs, Large Vampire Shirmp, and my discus. I have the feeling that y'all will say no, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Would it potentially work if I provided a specific place for it? Like a coconut hut, tube, rock cave, or smth of the sort?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
The crayfish will tear your discus up while they sleep. I think if you want to successfully keep discus you need to keep the discus only. Discus as your main fish. School of peaceful tetras. Cory clean up crew and a bristlenose pleco or 2. Easy to keep discus if you follow the basics.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I haven’t personally had any problems with crays and other fish, but given the more delicate nature of discus I’d guess it’s best not to mix the two.
It’s hard to imagine it not destroying the shrimp as well.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
The dwarf may be a safer option, I had a blue cray years ago that ate a spotted raphael. I had plenty of hiding spots, but they're not going to divide them up and stay in their own spots, the cray will go anywhere he can, and likely shred anything slow enough to catch.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
The dwarf may be a safer option, I had a blue cray years ago that ate a spotted raphael. I had plenty of hiding spots, but they're not going to divide them up and stay in their own spots, the cray will go anywhere he can, and likely shred anything slow enough to catch.
I can't do the dwarfs because I have a large Raph that can eat them, but thank you for the recommendation!

Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store