would this be possible ?

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Thanks guys; split into 2 minds as to what to do now, option one is to stick with the Koran, Dog Faced Puffer and the Snowflake but sustitute the Clown for a PICASSO trigger.....

Option 2 to try the Clown with the eel themselves

Could I get any kind of 'Cleaner fish' or Inverts to 'mop' up any excess food(the SW equivalent of a Plec is what I'm shooting for) ?

SW newbie time.....why are Nitrates so undesirable in a SW tank; I always thought they are relatively harmless to fish easily controlled by w/c s....should I change water with the same frequency as I do my FW tanks ie once per week 25%. Finally can you add in the Reef Salt as you go bucket per bucket or does it have to sit for a while......?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
they usually cause algae to grow much more rapidly in SW. Nitrates can hurt your fish, for say, even in a freshwater tank. if your nitrates were high enough, your fish may be expossed to the same stress levels with being in water with high nitrite or ammonia even. Non the less you should have nitrate as low as possible, along with every other unwanted nutrient. Large scale pred tanks will require some good filtration, IE sump, and some good size waterchanges every now and then. IMO

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I am sorry to be the bearer of negative news scarysdad, especially since this is your first venture into the "salt" world. You mentioned that you would like to keep the charismatic Clown Trigger. They possess a very sinister side, murderous in fact. they have been known to live in tranquility for many, many years with there tank mates. Then, for no apparent reason, (or no reason that we know of) overnight, kill EVERY living thing in sight, Fish, Inverts, even Corals. The Aquarist is confronted with a sight in the morning akin to nothing short of a massacre.
I am the proud owner of a mature specimen. And even after keeping Marines for 39 years, I am unable to tell the danger signs that they are about to switch to Destruct mode. He is now living in comfort, but in solitary.
Like I said, I may sound negative to you, but that is not my intention. Keeping Marines is a Joy. But, Mother Natures Oceans contain some species of fish that should be avoided at all cost by the Marine Novice.

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Thanks Predator1 that settles it; decided to get a new 75gal tank instead and just get 75 pounds of live rock and the Clown; as it was the fish that kick-started the idea of marines in the first place......

Cheers guys

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Careful--eels are great escape artists.

Kdcarey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2007
Florida
if u get a clown triger really small he may turn out nice eels will be fine just put alot of rock for his home..... ummmmm puffers work fine just get the clown small

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store