Would this set up work?

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
that tank cost would go up a little bit, but honestly for the amount of hastle and cost of an aftermarket overflow, you might as well get it. You just buy it from the store predrilled. You will know the difference and if not just ask if they have them in stock, or have them get you one if they dont have one.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
oh, and i know im gunna sound stupid saying this, but how do i set up an overflow? WHat is it exactly? Do i need a pump for it? Wow, i probably sound rediculous.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
tanks that are already drilled are usually sold as reef ready ,RR, tanks. The plumbing is usually comes with the tank or should be available at the lfs. It is very easy to setup and comes with directions. Yes you will need a pump to run inside or outside of the sump as a return pump. Magdrive, Ehiem, and Ocean runner are good quality pumps that are realiable.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
ALso, what filters and skimmers would you reccomend. I'm a little confused about skimmers. I am supposed to leave them on all the time and clean the cup daily right? JUst want to make sure.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
its best to purchase a skimmer that can handle a tank double the size its going on. In most cases this helps with efficiency, but the larger the tanks get sometimes its hard to get a skimmer double the size without spending a few grand. Your tank will be no problem. Getting a sump designed to have an in-sump skimmer will be the best IMO. This keeps stuff off the back of the tank.

The sump should have either a filter sock or a sheet of floss that the water pases through. This is your mechanical filtration. Most sumps will utilize bio-balls. I'm not a fan of bio-balls because the collect a lot of crud and need to be cleaned. Buying a few pieces of LR and smashing them to smaller sized pieces works great for water control and bacteria growth.

stevea6221

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2005
dorset,england
hi if you decide to go with the sixline wrasse i would recommend putting it in last as mine was a p.i.t.a if i tried to introduce anything to my tank after it,ended up getting rid of it after it harassed 2 of my fish to death and got a filamented flasher wrasse instead much more peaceful,also if you do get it make sure you have the tank covered as they like to jump although mine didnt unfortunetly:D

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
The only filter you need is the protein skimmer. The liverock will do the rest of filtering provided you have a good amount of water movement in the tank. I would look for a skimmer rated for atleast 200g. Euroreef, ASM, Octopus, and MSX are all good brands. They will cost about 300-400 new so I would for a used one on ebay or craigs list. If you do use anything for mechanical filtration: filter sock, floss or sponges, they have to be cleaned at least once or twice week. So that they start to produce nitrates. Avoid bio balls like the plague. If you have liverock in your sump make sure is completely submerged all the time.

Aromantis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2007
CT
Okay, that souns good cuz ill save money on filtration. Also, i have a six line with a clownfish, royal gramma, and skunk cleaner. Ive found that once it secure its dominence it stopped fighting. Of course, personalities can differ.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I used to have the ASM G-2 on my 65 gallon, then my sump sprung a leak lol. The skimmer is great, filters a lightly stocked 200 gallon just fine, but IMO thats pushing it lol.

I do have to admit that im not the biggest fan of rock in the sump due to the fact that it becomes a dirt trap and then a nitrate producer later down the road. In its defence if you do end up using a filter sock, then for the most part your should be okay along with basic sump cleaning as you would in the DT, you should be okay either way you end up leaning.

In the end my opinion stands that rock in the sump is still better then bio-balls but both can potentially be the same thing.

Good luck with your decision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store