wtf is walmart thinking?

xxt2goodxx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2005
www.myspace.com
i went to wal mart yesterday and saw "heart shaped" parrots selling for 15 bucks (valentines day item i'm guessing)... it was a parrot fish with its tail cut off... the tank had like 15 fish int here with their tails cut and some still had bones sticking out cuase it wasn;t a clean cut... i was like that is so cruel... cuase when i went to a petland they had a parrot with out its tail and it was a deformed parrot... i was like aww... and i thought the same thing here when i went to the walmart... but then i realized that all the fish had their tails removed... its so wrong to cut their tail.... walmart has poor quality fish... dont buy.. unless you feel sorry for the fish....

dodgers86

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
Dodgertown
Bk828;1554925; said:
this is not just walmart, this is plenty of stores from big chain stores to local mom and pop stores.. some find it cruel others find it interesting and "exotic"[/QUOTE]

And most likely those others are all newbs who know jack about fish.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Explain to the store management why such trend is not tolerated. You have the right as a customer to voice your opinion.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yup...for some reason it always seems that parrots get all the "experiments" done to them. Any time I see a mutalation or dye job, it always starts with parrots.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
it is sad to see this being done to them, hopefully people wise up and stop buying them

Acer

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Canada
You should definitely call/write/talk to the store manager... for real. I'm positive if you point out what is going on, they will stop selling it... it is a pretty controversial subject, and Wal-Mart is already on the defensive with everything else they do, so you may be able to prevent it.

Stormfire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2007
New Jersey, USA
Oh, I hate it when I see those. And dyed fish... Bleh. It's just wrong. I hope people will stop buying them.

I have five fish that were given to us by a relative, but they seem more...natural. I had always wonder if they were actually parrots with their tails cut off, but their fins aren't as long and they aren't as round(sort of flat), and when we got them, they were black, but as they grew, their color had slowly changed from black to a pinkish grey, to pale orange, then finally a very reddish orange. Two of the five still have black spots on their heads. They are really fast swimmers and we had them even longer than the two parrots that are now in the same tank with them. Do you think they are actually parrots or a similar type of hybrid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store