Wtf is wrong w/ my aro

boogeyman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2012
Wilmington nc
Yeah being around the tank more can help as they get older they will recognize you and not be so skittish, mine would only get a little bit skittish when I cleaned the glass with the magnet but eventually got used to it, but still every once in a while they jump and hit there head but very rare they are smart and know what will happen when they get bigger, sinc I got an overflow lowering the water is not an option, but with aros and good water quality they heal and grow back scales in just days, plus add a little aquarium salt

Aquascape Chicago

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2006
channahon,il
if the aro is still jumping try using floating plants that will at least give it the feeling that is is protected on the top as these fish like to going in and out around tree roots if you can find cypress knees and anchor them using egg crate. the 500gal in my store had them as a jump prevention and the black aros would love swimming between them and never had a problem with jumping

doubledragon

The House Of Endlie
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2006
ohio
Is there any red color around the tank? red color can trigger it to jump
check if your PH is 7.0
if your PH is lower than 7.0 than it will likely to jump because oxygen level decrease in lower PH environment
check if your tank is too small in width to make a turn

Finally someone agrees with what I've been saying for about 15 -20 years. RED will spook aro's!!! I've personlly experienced this many times.
Also maybe one of your peacefull tankmates might be spooking him at night.
I also keep the water down a few inches on any of my tank's with aro's...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store