Xanthic gator gar!

xenacanth9

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2021
xanthic.png
Check this out! https://www.ruinemansgroup.com/, an international wholesaler, has two xanthic alligator gars available for sale. Unfortunately, as it is a wholesale site, the average hobbyist can not buy one. However, I can't say I've ever seen a xanthic specimen of A. spatula, so still cool. Just thought it was interesting, why not share.

Reactions: M3AN ONE and kno4te

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sadly these arent viable mutations or natural… same “treatment” is done to these guys as the “phantom” red tails… man made 100%. Still interesting/cool i agree… just not as impressive as the real thing tho lol… theres actually a good number of them floating around.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Sadly these arent viable mutations or natural… same “treatment” is done to these guys as the “phantom” red tails… man made 100%. Still interesting/cool i agree… just not as impressive as the real thing tho lol… theres actually a good number of them floating around.
+1
Yeah they are often called "koi" gars. I know some of them eventually lose all that and fade back to looking like a normal gator gar.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Always see them on sale in Singapore, they are known as marbled gars. Never knew they were man made. Sold for like 10x the price of normal alligator gars.

Reactions: xenacanth9

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Never knew that… what kind of treatment? Chemical, hormonal, genetic modification?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Always see them on sale in Singapore, they are known as marbled gars. Never knew they were man made. Sold for like 10x the price of normal alligator gars.
Its gettin hard these days with demand for color morphs… and the price they can fetch… easy to get ripped off now on a fish that can possibly change back to normal color or have problems we havent discovered yet from the treatments ??‍♂

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Never knew that… what kind of treatment? Chemical, hormonal, genetic modification?
Its a pretty new one… and kinda interesting… they blast eggs/fry kids with high amts of UV light in the early stages of life to create an erray of “morphs”…Not sure what exactly its doing to the skin/pigments. Def. Hard to track tho as its kinda a craps shoot. Ive seen fish with red eyes, normal eyes, black eyes and of course an erray of pigments and lack of it… translucent skin… etc…. Pretty smart honestly… and lucrative… just bad for keepers and their wallets as its hard to tell what they are, could be, or will turn into… its no surprise with the amt these fish are aquacultured and bred in house manually. Kinda tip my hat to the farmers for really doubling down on their exploitations and experiments ??

So far ive seen rtc, tigs, piranha, gar, dats, lung fish… its works on some fish and not others… im sure we’ll see all kinds of abominations soon enough lol… i possibly owned 2 specimens myself that underwent “treatments”, sold as “reg natural morphs or wild caught” annnd they were purchaced 5-6 yrs ago so theyve been at it for a while. Be hard pressed to know if any morph is real these days without collection info… or catching it urself

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Its a pretty new one… and kinda interesting… they blast eggs/fry kids with high amts of UV light in the early stages of life to create an erray of “morphs”…Not sure what exactly its doing to the skin/pigments. Def. Hard to track tho as its kinda a craps shoot. Ive seen fish with red eyes, normal eyes, black eyes and of course an erray of pigments and lack of it… translucent skin… etc…. Pretty smart honestly… and lucrative… just bad for keepers and their wallets as its hard to tell what they are, could be, or will turn into… its no surprise with the amt these fish are aquacultured and bred in house manually. Kinda tip my hat to the farmers for really doubling down on their exploitations and experiments ??

So far ive seen rtc, tigs, piranha, gar, dats, lung fish… its works on some fish and not others… im sure we’ll see all kinds of abominations soon enough lol… i possibly owned 2 specimens myself that underwent “treatments”, sold as “reg natural morphs or wild caught” annnd they were purchaced 5-6 yrs ago so theyve been at it for a while. Be hard pressed to know if any morph is real these days without collection info… or catching it urself
Wow …that’s a first. Never heard of that before. It’s amazing what people will do to make money.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Wow …that’s a first. Never heard of that before. It’s amazing what people will do to make money.
Agreed…They gotta eat too tho lol… cant knock em too much for it. Just buisness ??‍♂

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store