year & half wuth ornatum

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Very Nice!!! Hard to keep alive??
Are they a very skittish fish if removed from a community?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although mine are not the most gregarious of cichlids, I wouldn't call them any more skittish than any other wild type.
They are by no means dog like, and not at all domestic like an oscar, and because they were sold as wild, I do not expect them to be so.
I have not had them out of a community setting, and I believe their temperament might be considered to be similar to their close cousin from the same area of S America, festae.
I have also "not" found them to be sensitive.
I did some research on the rivers they come from that flow toward the Pacific, and found their average temp to be on the cool side, (lower to mid 70sF) so have tried to keep temps down.
And have attempted to kept nitrates in the <5ppm range, and water chemistry stable by doing daily or every other day 20-30% water changes.

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
Agreed with Duane. Mine hide when I first come out to the garage but they recover quickly. I did lose a big 12" Ornatum to bloat once but other than that they have not proven that difficult. Like Duane I do a lot of water changes and have a lot of filtration on my tanks. Probably 50% twice a week depending on the feeding schedule. They are a fish for patient hobbyist as they grow slow but once they hit 5" they start to put on size quickly. I'd take these over Beani at least.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
We noticed a big change once we moved our group inside into a much larger system in a high traffic area of the house. Both in growth and interaction. Not as personable as a lot but I agree, right on par with Festae.

NO3 stays under 20 ppm in this tank and lots of water movement. They grow slowly but not as slowly but I agree, they grow much faster than Beani.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store