young Cichla kelberi : different grow rates ?!?

pbass510

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Bay Area
looks like your pbass are really skinny at this point. i mean if there about 6+ they should be fine eating pellets. It might be a little bit harder but most people prefer them to get bigger first i like to start them at 2"

wheatgerm

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2010
utah
I go with bloodworm until they are about 4-5 inches then next is freeze dried krill. I have yet to see a bass that wont hit on krill. Once they start getting used to hitting the krill at the top of the tank I introduce shrimp and tilapia until about 8 inches then work on pellets. It has worked for all my growouts.?

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
thanks for advices...

I now have tools to try other ways... I'll keep in touch asap...

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
my cichla finally decided to taste pieces of dead fishes... they slowly get to the habit of taking it on the bottom in the evening... I tested successfully (not a blast, but at least, they do eat) : anchovy, pangasius (in small tiny pieces), smelts...

they didn't get the idea that shrimps were decent food... But I keep on trying...

thanks to all of you for your tips and tricks...

[video=youtube_share;_8Zm140_8S4]http://youtu.be/_8Zm140_8S4[/video]

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
fish filets are cheaper and better for the fish than the shrimp..in my opinion. Silversides are even better cause they are small whole fish.

The.Kid9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2012
House
just reading this thread and Converting Cichlas off live food really helps... xD

ElTofi

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2011
Switzerland
first evening that I can see every Cichla (even the 3 "smallest") taste and enjoy pieces of Pangasius and anchovy :headbang2... The point seems to be on bites size... I hadn't try small enough, as convinced as I was about the voracity of Cichlas... even babies...

Cool, they eat something else than blood worms and live food... pppppffffffffiiiiiouuuuuu, that wasn't that easy...

I'll post something about them in a few days...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store