Your favorite lures

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The lure that "always works" probably doesn't exist; the closest you will come would probably be a jig, and that would obviously require different presentations, dressings, etc. I know jigs are super-versatile, and if I were desperate to catch fish, or were forced to choose one type of lure as part of my gear for survival purposes, I'd take jigs, no question.

But I'm fishing for sport, almost all live-release. I'm doing it for fun...and jigs are just not fun to fish, IMHO. So I see a huge distinction between "best" lure (i.e. the lure most likely to be most effective under the widest range of conditions) and "favourite" lure (i.e. the lure that I most enjoy to use).

Going back to the old Hula Popper. It's a surface lure, so it's ineffective a huge percentage of the time, under a huge percentage of conditions and target species....but when conditions are right, it's simply much more fun to use...IMHO...than anything else. Not more effective...just more fun. I'd rather catch a couple of bass on a popper than a dozen on a jig...but I don't need to catch every fish in the lake to enjoy fishing.

Reactions: Matth05

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
The lure that "always works" probably doesn't exist; the closest you will come would probably be a jig, and that would obviously require different presentations, dressings, etc. I know jigs are super-versatile, and if I were desperate to catch fish, or were forced to choose one type of lure as part of my gear for survival purposes, I'd take jigs, no question.

But I'm fishing for sport, almost all live-release. I'm doing it for fun...and jigs are just not fun to fish, IMHO. So I see a huge distinction between "best" lure (i.e. the lure most likely to be most effective under the widest range of conditions) and "favourite" lure (i.e. the lure that I most enjoy to use).

Going back to the old Hula Popper. It's a surface lure, so it's ineffective a huge percentage of the time, under a huge percentage of conditions and target species....but when conditions are right, it's simply much more fun to use...IMHO...than anything else. Not more effective...just more fun. I'd rather catch a couple of bass on a popper than a dozen on a jig...but I don't need to catch every fish in the lake to enjoy fishing.
Agreed, there may not be an always works, but if it's over 50% of the time, then it has a spot in the favorites list
Or like you said just what you enjoy using and getting hits from the most
Some people like throwing big lures because they only get big hits, some people like the blowups of topwaters, some people (like me) like the satisfaction of getting hits on a lure that looks cool to me.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Meps or blue fox gold and silver size 4. That’s a lure that ALWAYS works. In all my years of fishing I don’t think I have ever been skunked when using one. If I’m having a crappy day throwing cranks or jerk baits I’ll toss one on and land a fish within the hour.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Zoom super fluke on a size 4 ewg is my go to around here. Taken many pickerel and small mouth
This is one of those lures that I just can't seem to figure out and catch fish on. There must be something I'm doing wrong, because I know how well they work. I usually just end up switching to a weightless senko or trick worm at some point after trying a fluke.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
This is one of those lures that I just can't seem to figure out and catch fish on. There must be something I'm doing wrong, because I know how well they work. I usually just end up switching to a weightless senko or trick worm at some point after trying a fluke.
I really only use it in really weedy or shallow areas. Texas rig it weight less and twitch it back slowly, pause for several seconds between each twitch, the less time between twitches the higher up it will swim.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I really only use it in really weedy or shallow areas. Texas rig it weight less and twitch it back slowly, pause for several seconds between each twitch, the less time between twitches the higher up it will swim.
Almost all the water in my area gets very weedy, perfect for a fluke. My problem is most likely twitching the lure either too hard and/or too fast. I think there's a certain level of muscle memory into getting that right twitch in the rod. Like with most lures, time and practice probably makes all the difference.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Almost all the water in my area gets very weedy, perfect for a fluke. My problem is most likely twitching the lure either too hard and/or too fast. I think there's a certain level of muscle memory into getting that right twitch in the rod. Like with most lures, time and practice probably makes all the difference.
Could also be your rod, most twitch lures work best on "heavier" or "faster" action rods with shorter handles that make each twitch more responsive/accurate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store