Your favorite tankbuster miniatures

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
If by turquoise cichlid you mean umbees, I’m not sure there really can be a small cichlid equivalent. For the big, hyper-aggressive cichlids like festae and umbees there is a certain charm that just cannot be captured with other species.
Salvinis? They're relatively small at 6 inches but they are hyper-aggressive in their own way.

Reactions: Deadeye

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
If by turquoise cichlid you mean umbees, I’m not sure there really can be a small cichlid equivalent. For the big, hyper-aggressive cichlids like festae and umbees there is a certain charm that just cannot be captured with other species.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Are they just that aggressive to be above all other species? At least the color matches.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
As close to a mini umbee would be something like a Caquetaia spectabilis, which would still want a min. of a 75/90/120. And they get 8-10” +

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Salvinis? They're relatively small at 6 inches but they are hyper-aggressive in their own way.
To me, sals remind me of a mini parachromis with the sharp snout, yellow color, and super mean.
Yes, that's what I meant.
Are they just that aggressive to be above all other species? At least the color matches.
Exactly. Color is similar but there is a degree of aggression and interactivity only held by the big tank buster cichlids. Doesn’t mean the others aren’t amazing (andinoacara are my favorites).

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Closest thing appearance wise to mini umbee would maybe be istlanum, got at least some of the attitude as well.

I think the miniatures in question should look and at least somewhat behave similarly, like I don't think I'd ever look at a hatchet fish as a miniature dat or a pleco as a miniature tig, they might have superficially similar colour but behave and physically look nothing like their comparisons.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Some still require some large-ish tanks, but

pickerel instead of a pike/muskie
bullhead instead of a channel catfish
Kelberi peacock bass instead of LMB/other peacock bass
Dwarf Pike Cichlid instead of a larger pike cichlid/chalceus
Some killifish are similar to arowanas/african butterfly fish
and I think kuhli/dojo loaches would replace some larger eels/lung fish because of the similar shape and semi predator nature (my dojo's used to eat night crawlers, snails, frozen river shrimp, etc.)

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Some still require some large-ish tanks, but

pickerel instead of a pike/muskie
bullhead instead of a channel catfish
Kelberi peacock bass instead of LMB/other peacock bass
Dwarf Pike Cichlid instead of a larger pike cichlid/chalceus
Some killifish are similar to arowanas/african butterfly fish
and I think kuhli/dojo loaches would replace some larger eels/lung fish because of the similar shape and semi predator nature (my dojo's used to eat night crawlers, snails, frozen river shrimp, etc.)
dojo loach is very different from your eels and your lungfish....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store