Your Favorite Things about your Local Fish Stores?

A

AquaAlex1993

A few weeks ago I created the Pet Peeve's thread for LFS and it got many responses about things that make us a bit uneasy and upset. If you haven't seen that thread, want to read it, or comment on it just go to this link here:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...your-biggest-pet-peeve-about-your-lfs.692931/
Now, let's focus on the good things! Things about our LFS that makes us feel like giant kids in a candy store when we are at a fish store. I can't wait to hear about your favorite things about your LFS.
I'll start.
For me, I have a few different shops that I go to up here in Western MA. I have included the facebook pages to the ones that do have one.
School of Fish INC- Springfield MA
https://www.facebook.com/School-of-Fish-inc-338129713872/
Fish Frenzy Tropical Fish- South Hadley MA
https://www.facebook.com/localfishstorelfs/
Dave's Pet Food City- small locally owned New England Chain
Aw Browns- Longmeadow (gardening, farm supplies, pets, and live fish)
All of these stores are good and I go to them for many different reasons.
My favorite things about SOF:
~ GREAT selection of Dry goods! They HAVE everything... High end filters, heaters, and other supplies including Fluval, Aqueon, and other top brands. They are the first store in the area to have NEW products featured and ready for sale. Always has a decent selection of fish tanks for sale.
~ Employees are knowledgeable
~ The livestock is always changing. You can go in one day and they can be out of stock of the fish you want or don't have anything you want one day, but then go in the next time and they have every and anything you want. I think for me that's the bittersweet moment for me.
~ The owner is an extremely nice guy who really cares about the hobby and loves his customers. I've gotten to know him since I was a little kid.
~ They take trade-ins. To my knowledge, I believe they are the only LFS that does trade ins and gives credit too, it helps me out when I need to rehome an aggressive fish when there are no takers elsewhere.
~ SALES! They have a sale quite often now, so that's great.
~My favorite things about Daves:
Simple: Better care for their fish than petsmart and petco.All the fish rooms are managed by 2 managers who are fish keepers and aquarium enthusiasts. Matt (I think his name is) does a great job at the Agawam location, he brings in some cool ''oddball'' type stuff and that's where I got my 2 geophagus that I love..
PLUS...BUY 3 FISH WITH YOUR DAVE'S CARD GET 1 FREE. Not bad, even the rarer fish included.

AW Browns
Fish selection- sometimes they have some rare stock, odd considering it's a grain/garden/farm supply store with pets added.

Fish Frenzy-
The owner Ed Pecord is an aquarium hobbyist and loves the fish hobby. He really cares more about the fish than money.. He has some awesome live stock, some of the best prices you will ever find, and he always has some unique fish in stock... black bar silver dollars, larger south american cichlids, etc.
He is the one who got me into silverdollars!!
Those are my LFS and my favorite things about them.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Am I allowed to say "the cute guy in the fish section"? Because that's definitely a plus lol

There's only two good stores near me now and one only sells livestock. The other one is technically a "pet" shop but they have one of the best selections of fish and hardware in south Tas.
Its the only pet shop near me that sells eheim anything (even if they do want $1200 for a canister)
They're the only pet store that allow layby.
The "fish guy" knows his stuff.
They won't sell you animals if they don't think you can look after them.
Their tanks all run on INDIVIDUAL sumps, every display tank in the store has it's own little sump in the room behind the tanks.
They have a loyalty program, for every $150 spent I get a $15 voucher to spend on anything in the store, they also let you save up the $15 vouchers and use more than one in a single transaction which I think is really cool as I've never known a business to allow that.
They're locally owned, I'm a huge believer in supporting local business if possible so this is the cherry on the cake for me. :D

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
I 'love' how my LFS keeps me hanging on a tread by telling me the catfish I've been waiting for' maybe coming maybe not'.
So I have to pop by every week and spend money on something I shouldn't /dont need to buy or else its a wasted trip. :(

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I like that my nearby LFS opens till 9.30pm. Which means i have time to go after work to get my frogs and worms.

There is another LFS further away that is open 24 hours.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
I 'love' how my LFS keeps me hanging on a tread by telling me the catfish I've been waiting for' maybe coming maybe not'.
So I have to pop by every week and spend money on something I shouldn't /dont need to buy or else its a wasted trip. :(
which one you go to and what catfish you looking for that is so special

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Yes I've tried. Even NKS and JZX. Just got to be patient, the tank is sooo empty its hard to resist. Only place I haven't looked is Pasir Ris farmway but I heard alot of shops have closed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store