Your thoughts on recent mini tiger boom

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Of course it's a problem. I'm not sure about Indonesia, but in Thailand catching and selling the young, while eating the grown is obviously unsustainable.
If Pulcher were eaten in Thailand, you can bet your house they eat them in Cambodia, and more than likely in Vietnam too. Did you know that pulcher in it's last years in Thailand would fetch more on a dinner plate in the posh Chinese restaurants in China Town than it would being sold into a fish tank! If all these little fishes we see are really Pulcher, and the catch them with nets, how do the big ones survive? It's impossible to fish with nets for small fish and not kill big fish by accident.
Classic Chassis is a tough act to follow in this thread/discussion.....By all accounts given the future of the Datnioides apears to be very bleek.I made a thread raising this concern a year or so ago when I noticed the stores here with tanks full of small dats in this area and probably elsewhere,but they were not as small as Gage has reported, which is not good at all......Human predation of the large dats coupled with mass capturing of the small ones and no captive breding leads eventually no dats in the wild.

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
My shop is getting them from our usual supplier, same as the rest of our fish. It's just a guess but I think they're going to be more readily available in the coming weeks in more locations.
Much appreciated, thank you

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking about it this way. Everyone in FTF the Singapore forum seems to be unphased by this and act like there's no threat of loosing these great fish. It's just hard to believe that we have a blueprint of this from the past with STs and it still happens today with IT and possibly NTT. For the record I don't agree with taking them this small and I only have mine because my coworker ordered them thinking they were the 2" variety and gave them to me because they'd die before we sold them at AC. They are cool and a nice challenge to raise but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy these given the situation and history of tigers.

Here's mine [video=youtube;-CMr7sK6A44]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMr7sK6A44[/video]

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oddly enough they seem to be very lively at that size compared to quite a few that I have seen that were much bigger.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
i really think they r being secretly being farm bred.. there's noway they could catch that much at that size. come on, think about it for a sec.are they going around w/ a net and scooping them up like sardines ? no way. couple of my suppliers are getting them at that size too.. plus just saw a couple vendors on the classified section sell it for dirt cheap like 6.5 to 10 bucks each only,,i really hope they are farm bred, but if they are being caught in wild then the future of indos will not be looking good.

if they could farm bred IT so can STs also....

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
^ complete fiction because of this,
if they could farm bred IT so can STs also....
If they can breed IT they can breed ST, and who ever does that will be granted instant fame and fortune. Why bother breeding IT which only sell for a few bucks, when you can breed a fish that'll make you rich and famous? No way it would be kept secret either. The process yes, but the fact no way.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I was curious about this recent boom as well; I was actually considering buying some myself because of the great prices.

Are datnoids at such a small size tough to raise? If so, then why would they be collected in such numbers that the wild stocks will be depleted to a point of no return? It seems to be a lose-lose situation if that's the case.

jray33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Washington state
I know nothing of the breeding of datnoides, in fact i would love for somone to fill me in or provide a link. but waht if for some reason they could breed indo's in captivity but not ST's Maybe species differ enough that pulcher wont breed in captivity but microlepis will. i sawGage's other thread and those are some tinnnny dats. They would be pulling out literaly everything in the river to try and get those micro dats.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I know nothing of the breeding of datnoides, in fact i would love for somone to fill me in or provide a link. but waht if for some reason they could breed indo's in captivity but not ST's Maybe species differ enough that pulcher wont breed in captivity but microlepis will. i sawGage's other thread and those are some tinnnny dats. They would be pulling out literaly everything in the river to try and get those micro dats.
If they're breeding them, then it probably is in ponds or some other large scale operation.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
Believe me guys, i went looking for farms, posed as a buyer. They are are not captive bred. A year ago i saw thousands of them no bigger than an inch in Bangkok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store