Your worst mistake?

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
Rescued a kazkazini of my brother and put him in my CA/SA set up. He was fine until I got rid of my jack dempsey then all of a sudden he started picking on my satanoperca lecousticta a little (the earthearter was easily 5 times his size) then when I got back from work one day I put the light on and he had shred every fin on my eartheaters body, needless to say I got him straight out my tank and put him in my brothers even though there was a chance his African pike would eat him!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dragonsong

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2009
PA
Not explaining properly what a valve in the basement was for...didn't expect mom to do yardwork with the hose so early in the year so since it's on the same circuit she accidentally tripped the valve on the garden hose that was over the koi pool starting a waterchange while I was away for 2 days. I go down to visit my fish and find a pile of dead bodies at the center of the pool, 3 out of 17 survivors to this day. Didn't tell me because they 'looked fine' sure until the chlorine took effect. Kinda in the category of freak accident but it's still my worst experience in the hobby to this date. Happened in May this year..

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
I contributed here once but I just made another one lol.

Once when I was buying feeder fish for my 10 gallon they lady accidentally scooped up a chinese algae eater or whatever so I kept it. Never bothered any of the fish or nothin! I stopped using feeders totally so I could now shut down the tank. He had nowhere to go so I decided I would move him over to my 180 gallon cichla tank. (small cichla still) he cleaned every inch of that tank in about 3 days. Brown Algae is literally gone and trust me there was alot. Now the part that I messed up. I never would have thought these fish would pose an issue. It basically terrorizes all my bass constantly luckily they are quick enough to get away. Ive been tryng to catch it so I can get it out but its too dang fast. Very frustrating lol. Worst fish ever.

wantokeeptrout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ontario
mixing an 8 inch lesser siren with a couple 5 inch hugeta gar, hint, the more expensive one i was certain would not be eaten was nontheless killed in the impossible attempt

or

coming home from a 2 week vacation and watching my exochochromis take flight just as i walk in the room and land on the space heater, never recovered from his injury though he lasted 3 months

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
I contributed here once but I just made another one lol.

Once when I was buying feeder fish for my 10 gallon they lady accidentally scooped up a chinese algae eater or whatever so I kept it. Never bothered any of the fish or nothin! I stopped using feeders totally so I could now shut down the tank. He had nowhere to go so I decided I would move him over to my 180 gallon cichla tank. (small cichla still) he cleaned every inch of that tank in about 3 days. Brown Algae is literally gone and trust me there was alot. Now the part that I messed up. I never would have thought these fish would pose an issue. It basically terrorizes all my bass constantly luckily they are quick enough to get away. Ive been tryng to catch it so I can get it out but its too dang fast. Very frustrating lol. Worst fish ever.
yikes! Get that guy otta there! all that chasing will stress the young bass out! could kill em too

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
yikes! Get that guy otta there! all that chasing will stress the young bass out! could kill em too
Hehe tonight water change so my old lady gonna help me net it out. Pain in my butt but the tank looked great for a while lol ill give it one last chance in my oscars tank but if it starts any trouble it's going to a new home

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Spicoli

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
a
Dumbest thing i've done is trying to move my 14"(at the time) bgk from his 65 gallon to his new 125 in a net far too small. He jumped onto the floor and if anyone has tried to scoop a BGK off the floor with your bare hands it can be a nightmare trust me. Broken tail and tonnes of blood later, he is in his new tank healthy as can be. That was last year and he's finally not afraid of me again in the last 2 months or so.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
probably not setting up a sump right in the beginning trying to save some money ended up having to drain the tank out and put an actual sump in and also not rigging up a good lid too lost some fish on that that but i learned from these mistakes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store