zebra danios

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I don't usually pay much attention to my kids tank in the kitchen. I just feed and water change. However this morning i noticed that 3 little skinny danio were chasing a big fat one. They just wouldn't leave it alone. Would i be right in saying that the small ones are male and the big one is an egg laden female? Are they harassing her to drop her eggs for breckfast or are they getting paternal and just want to fertilise her eggs? Or is it neither and they're just playing? Out of interest, what should i do if i did actually want them to breed?

Reactions: tlindsey

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
They're breeding. And you're correct on the sexes. They're egg scatters and will eat their eggs as soon as it drops. If you have gravel some may survive and you'll notice tiny slithers or pinheads swimming around.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I don't usually pay much attention to my kids tank in the kitchen. I just feed and water change. However this morning i noticed that 3 little skinny danio were chasing a big fat one. They just wouldn't leave it alone. Would i be right in saying that the small ones are male and the big one is an egg laden female? Are they harassing her to drop her eggs for breckfast or are they getting paternal and just want to fertilise her eggs? Or is it neither and they're just playing? Out of interest, what should i do if i did actually want them to breed?

divemaster99 divemaster99

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton
I have these breeding in HRP tank all the time, well not exactly breeding just scattering the eggs that are quickly snacked on by the other fish. My first fish I bred when I was a kid, I used marbles on the bottom of the tank to save some of the eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store