zebra mussels

albertjavieraguilar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
iowa
Is it illegal to put a zebra mussel in an aquarium even when they are all around you? They seem hardy and stay small so would not negatively affect the water when they die.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
It is illegal to transport zebra mussels out of the water body.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
As a heads up... any type of mussel or clam regardless of species needs a lot of green water as a food source or some type of food supplement... i used to keep clams in my F/W tank and let me tell you, if you don't realize they have passed away they STINK up the tank BAD when you remove them...

albertjavieraguilar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
iowa
My "friend" has had them in his tanks for 7 months.
Since they don't borrow it's relatively easy to tell when they die.
Two are adults growing slowly with several babies. They haven't taken over the tank by any means, I believe the gold fish and cichlids enjoy eating the baby clams.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
My "friend" has had them in his tanks for 7 months.
Since they don't borrow it's relatively easy to tell when they die.
Two are adults growing slowly with several babies. They haven't taken over the tank by any means, I believe the gold fish and cichlids enjoy eating the baby clams.
Well your "friend" will have $500 fine if he is caught by posses zebra mussels as Iowa laws says you cannot posses zebra mussels.

albertjavieraguilar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2011
iowa
Well your "friend" will have $500 fine if he is caught by posses zebra mussels as Iowa laws says you cannot posses zebra mussels.
I will tell him. Thanks
Large Japanese Trapdoor pond snails are now found in many locations in Iowa. They are still legal correct?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store