zip ties gone pink?

Mr.V

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
NY
i made a tank divider out of some .5 inch pvc and plastic window screen which is held together by some small opaque white zip ties about a week ago and now the zip ties are turning pink in color. what does this mean?

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Some plastics are also more susceptible to particular algae growths, it doesn't always scrub off either, so if you don't like it go with jwarriner suggestion :D.

Dr Joe

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
Generally the formation of a pink film in damp or aquatic environments is attributable to the growth of a bacterium called "Serratia marcescens". This is a harmless bacterium, but don't get it in your eye because it can cause conjunctivitis. Wash your hands after handling these parts.

iORi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2006
socal
i thought it was just cuz of acidic water... u know how they do redox reaction tests??? i always thought it was cuz of slightly acidic water

arowana man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
brianp;1276844; said:
Generally the formation of a pink film in damp or aquatic environments is attributable to the growth of a bacterium called "Serratia marcescens". This is a harmless bacterium, but don't get it in your eye because it can cause conjunctivitis. Wash your hands after handling these parts.
i get pink filters when i change them all the time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store