The Camera Thread

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Cichlas;1278824; said:
Don't forget that the aperture is likely to be different too. Generally speaking, the larger the focal length the smaller the maximum aperture is. So a long focal length lense cannot let as much light in so can cause problems if there is not enough light about. The smallest number is the important one in that respect, especially for fish work. i.e. f1.8 will be much better than f4.5 for instance.
I think for fish photography a remote flash is more important than having a fast lens. Fast lens are nice to have but you'll have a very thin depth of field if you shoot it wide open and close to the subject. With a remote flash you don't need a fast lens since you'll have plenty of light and you can essentially freeze a fish's movement with higher shutter speed. You'll also be able to use a smaller aperture so that you can get more of the fish in focus.

hatorihanzoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2007
toronto
so what does this all mean? whats a remote flash? i guess i'll better off with a 18-55mm lens rather than the long range 55-200mm

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
just a note... i just took some of my best pics ever today at stiffmeisters house and thats when it occured to me. the two most important things to do after u have a good camera is clean ur glass! :p

Fishalicious

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2007
the here and now
Wow didnt realize how many people use the Nikon...i also a Nikon here is a pic please let me know about the size its my first pix post;)

ND full.jpg

full view.jpg

Dudley and ND.jpg

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
is300zx;1279351; said:
I think for fish photography a remote flash is more important than having a fast lens. Fast lens are nice to have but you'll have a very thin depth of field if you shoot it wide open and close to the subject. With a remote flash you don't need a fast lens since you'll have plenty of light and you can essentially freeze a fish's movement with higher shutter speed. You'll also be able to use a smaller aperture so that you can get more of the fish in focus.
Yup, I would agree with all of that for close up work. But IMO, flash is pants no matter which ones you use for full tank shots or longer distance work. A fast lense is much better and will give decent depth of field, and gives a much more natural look than flash.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Speaking from first hand experience, a remote flash will make a much bigger difference than a fast lens (when taking pix in home aquaria).

The whole advantage to a "fast" lens is the ability to open the apeture, which will decrease DOF no matter what.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
rallysman;1287946; said:
Speaking from first hand experience, a remote flash will make a much bigger difference than a fast lens (when taking pix in home aquaria).

The whole advantage to a "fast" lens is the ability to open the apeture, which will decrease DOF no matter what.

I am also speaking from first hand experience ;) :screwy:

As the post is in here, we would be talking from a fish pic perspective. A long zoom, say 70-300 is less use to you than a 35-80 for aquarium work. So straight away you are likely to be looking at a lense that is faster anyway. Therefore I would recommend the faster lense as it is more suitable for the job at hand from a focal length perspective. A remote flash will help tremendously for closeup/macro work, but is very limited or no use for full tank shots (especially big tanks) if you are stood away from the tank. In those cases, the "faster" the lense the better, to help avoid the need for a flash altogether. DOF will be sufficient when you are not right on top of the subject.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Cichlas;1292509; said:
I am also speaking from first hand experience ;) :screwy:

As the post is in here, we would be talking from a fish pic perspective. A long zoom, say 70-300 is less use to you than a 35-80 for aquarium work. So straight away you are likely to be looking at a lense that is faster anyway. Therefore I would recommend the faster lense as it is more suitable for the job at hand from a focal length perspective. A remote flash will help tremendously for closeup/macro work, but is very limited or no use for full tank shots (especially big tanks) if you are stood away from the tank. In those cases, the "faster" the lense the better, to help avoid the need for a flash altogether. DOF will be sufficient when you are not right on top of the subject.
For a full tank, just aim the flash into the light that's usually on there:)

I use a 28-200mm lens for my fish pix. I'm almost never shooting @28mm. Even when I shoot at F4-5 half of a 3" fish will be out of focus if it's looking at me.

Maybe I'm thinking more along the lines of individual fish pix, which is what I shoot mainly. Full tank shots are less than 5% of my aquatic pictures.

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
this is what im talkin bout... lenses... setups thats what i wanted to hear more about.

whos got some suggestions for me? Im buy a new lens soon... got about 250-300 bucks to spend... all i have right now is the standard 18-55 on my canon 400D... but i dont know alot bout lenses.

I do a lot of macro shots so i definitly want something with a short minimum focus length... but i also wanna have a bit of leeway for if i wanna zoom in on somethin...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store