What kind cichlids in FL canals?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Im curious about how many cichlids species in FLorida canals. And what species can found in FL canals? I heard that in Florida has flowerhorns populations existed in canals.

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
there are:
jags
uros
jewels
oscars
tilapia
ive aslo heard of severums
convicts
and acaras

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Thats lots of non native cichlids in FL....after im done with reading with other threads in here, it appeared that there are more species. African cichlids and salvi too...are there more species that i missed out? I have freshwater fishes of North America but it dont add any new exotics of today....one day I will going fishing in FL as sounds like its fun to go fishing in canals.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
MN_Rebel;2342455; said:
Thats lots of non native cichlids in FL....after im done with reading with other threads in here, it appeared that there are more species. African cichlids and salvi too...are there more species that i missed out? I have freshwater fishes of North America but it dont add any new exotics of today....one day I will going fishing in FL as sounds like its fun to go fishing in canals.

Diff canals have diff cichlids. Around me no salvi which I love but lots jewels and convicts than ofcourse bigger cichlids while another canal has Africans like common zebra but nothing else.

There are tropicals also

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
detroitfish;2342696; said:
it depends on what type of fish idiots let go in the canals!!!!!!!!!!!!
Especially with flowerhorn thing, normally i like them as long as they in the tank but not anymore as they are already breeding in Florida...probably from lower grade stocks.:irked: And it is nightmare for purists when the hybrids got loose in the wild (or manmade canals).

Therefore i like blood parrot ones better as the males are sterile but then females can breed with other species, lets hope that blood parrot dont get in the canals...wont be surprised if blood parrot already existed in the canals.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
detroitfish;2342696; said:
it depends on what type of fish idiots let go in the canals!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I understand what your saying the canal cichlids,tropicals here dont displace anything its to warm/hot most of the year in them to sustain sunfish and non peacock bass.
Even during 70 degree days the water is still very warm and 8 months a year just plain hot.

The canals are man made to regulate water and no natives were there to begin with .
I regret not buying a house with canal behind back yard or man made lake My sister in law has man made lake in her yard few houses border it and I have caught jag cichlids, dempsey and fish which have no idea what it is.
I was concerned with mosquitos which you have anyway and nothing beats coming home ftom work and cichlid fishing right in your yard, not same to have to walk 2 blocks for "community" canal:(.

THe natural non man made real lakes have BIG bass and big sunfish the cichlids can't compete with them. Even golf course lakes/ponds have atleast tropicals but they have no chance in real lakes with bass and suns

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
I've caught: mayans, pbass, salvinis, jewels, blue tilapia, zebra tilapia, spotted tilapia, seen jaguar cichlids, heard about red devils, o and oscars. That's all I know of but I'm fairly sure that if it's commonly kept in aquariums its most likely in a canal somewhere

Flash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Davie Fl
There is a pic on here of a huge TSN sitting in the water in a canal down here. I'll try and look for the thread.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
i think i've caught them all lol

i've caught acaras, mayans, pbass, salvinis, blue and spotted tilapia, butti (once), jags, red devils/midas, oscars, severums, convicts, and jewels. i've never seen a FH. Maybe they're too colorful to survive lol

i've been called a liar, but i caught 2 temensis last year. first and last time i've ever seen them here in FL

as for non-cichlid non-natives...snakeheads, walking cats, a pacu, buch of carp, and some weird looking catfish. Not sure what type, but definitely not north american. Oh yeah, and plecos

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store