North Pole
whats a temensis?

hurricane_redbone

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Joboland
www.myspace.com
onion... when I get to Florida u gotta show me where u caught those temensis! :drool:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
oh its another species of PB, they look so sweet! And yes they existed in Florida canals, who knows how many species of PB in canals...Have you seen black pacu?! I saw them when i was in vacation in Florida they were frickening huge! I think they were in manmade lake.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
In the canals in the southern parts of Dade County, where I live, I've seen peaock bass, oscars, Tilpia mariae, mayans, Midas/RD, Oreochromis sp., and jewels. In other parts I've seen severums and salvini. Never seen the acaras people mention, although I've been wanting to get some for my tanks.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
mb_barton;2355081; said:
onion... when I get to Florida u gotta show me where u caught those temensis! :drool:
it is a surprise actually. in a place about 4 miles from my house where i've never seen a pbass over 8" (all FL hybrids). I saw a weirdly colored pair guarding a rock and cast my line. After around an hour i pulled up the female. 100% temensis, no mistake. After another 10 minutes i hooked the male. They were around 10 and 15", respectively. I released them. only later i heard that there are practically no more tems around here, although they were the ones FL originally stocked. Apparently they cannot take any cold, even S florida winters

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
If the rest of exotic cichlids can survive the florida winters, then i dont see why tems cant survive the winter of Florida...yet they can reproduce in Florida. Its possible that tems were replaced by the hybrid PB so maybe that explains why there are not lots of "pure" tems around in the Florida canals?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
MN_Rebel;2355480; said:
If the rest of exotic cichlids can survive the florida winters, then i dont see why tems cant survive the winter of Florida...yet they can reproduce in Florida. Its possible that tems were replaced by the hybrid PB so maybe that explains why there are not lots of "pure" tems around in the Florida canals?
tems have a much lower level of temperature tolerance than other peacock bass. They need much warmer water to survive. Monos and occells, on the other hand, are hardier. They are generally thicker fish, and this might help them retain heat better than the long, thinner tems. I suppose that after the original stocking of tems largely failed, monos and occels were introduced, and hybridized soon after into the now familiar FL hybrid

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Onion01;2355501; said:
tems have a much lower level of temperature tolerance than other peacock bass. They need much warmer water to survive. Monos and occells, on the other hand, are hardier. They are generally thicker fish, and this might help them retain heat better than the long, thinner tems. I suppose that after the original stocking of tems largely failed, monos and occels were introduced, and hybridized soon after into the now familiar FL hybrid
Very interesting, i dont know how much about PB in Florida and i dont know that tems cant survived through the winters. something new i learned today. Also its possible that tems were probably dumped by ex owner that no longer want them, who knows?

And maybe the hybrid PB has some tems blood into them.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I have also seen all of those fish in south FL. I ve caught many of them and I actually have a breeding pair of FL WC Jags at home =] they look a lot better then the ones in the pet stores. Also remeber - though there are a lot of canals and man made areas- some of the canals connect to places like the everglades. Oscars have been established in Lake Okeechobee for some time now.

Yes there are some tig catfish in the canals. There are actually a lot of types of catfish and other species in the canals. I have also seen a giant pacu. I am suprised no arowana yet - though one was caught near me in central FL in the St. John's river.

Here is one of the pbass I caught:

pbass.jpg

Reactions: erik123

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
MN_Rebel;2355516; said:
Very interesting, i dont know how much about PB in Florida and i dont know that tems cant survived through the winters. something new i learned today. Also its possible that tems were probably dumped by ex owner that no longer want them, who knows?

And maybe the hybrid PB has some tems blood into them.
no, pbass were stocked by the government as game fish. tems were the first, but there aren't many left. The hybrids i've caught have no noticeable tem blood in them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store