Netting out monster sized fish ?

landonc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
United States
furiousaquatics.com
When it comes to my foot long pacu, I have a bag about two foot wide (clear normal fish bag) and I simply open it wide and scoop him up. Doesnt cause too much stress and he cant hurt him self.

scottv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Minnesota
redtailfool said:
How do you move your monster sized fishes? I honestly hate doing it
because theres the possibility of the fish thrashing around and doing damage to itself.

I use the largest net i could find for arowanas , stingrays and bigger catfish , i herd them in a large trash bag and lift the bag out slowly ( after removing excess water ) from the tank.

Any special, unusual technique that people out there use or want to share? Post them here !
I use a big net, and change into swimming shorts. :grinyes:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I borrow a tractor beam from George Lucas.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hiya PufferNAI, welcome to MFK.
I believe he means one of these, they are often used for catch and release fisheries.

cradle1.gif

freeNINETY9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
um, i read about a pretty cool way to transport fish with little stress. clove oil is actually like anesthesia to them. this guy was knocking out his puffers to cut their teeth. like, two or three drops for every three cups of tank water and within a minute or two the puffer was belly up. when he put him back in normal water he came to within a few secs. very little stress. i guess if you had to do it to an arrow youd have to figure out how many cups in your tank and do lots of drops eh?

seems weird to me but ive heard of it working more than once. -shrug-

freeNINETY9

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Saint Charles, IL
heres another good one for knives/loaches/catfish/etc as long as theyre not HUGE HUGE. take a 2liter bottle and cut the top off right where the neck meets the straight sides. then invert the neck and reattach it to the bottle with tape or staples. basically what you have done is made it so that the neck of the bottle no longer points out, but into the bottle. then drop some shrimp pellets, krill, etc inside the bottle and throw it in the tank overnight. next morning youve got a fish who cant figure out how to get out. i was going to try it for my clown loach but that damn thing is so friendly, i just pop the lid of the tank and dip my hand in and hell swim right into it thinking hes gonna get fed.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store