1. draining about 1/3-1/2 the tank's water
2. transmore (spellling?) or ice
3. pillow case for 18"+ fish, or reg net for less

Paul_MTS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2005
Essex- UK
I'ved used a variety of methods depending on the fish.

I had to catch up my aro once to remove a anchor worm so I used a koi sock, he laid still perfectly, because it was pitch black and stillin water.

For a 16" TSN i used a triangle landing net with a string top so when you dislodge the base the 2 sides can be moved togther then i rolled him like THE TRUST said so they can't move.

For my oscar I tried nets but he was jus so damn powerful so i coaxed him into a bag.

For some spikey finned cats I use a new interpet net thats still stiff which there spines can't puncher, on older softer nets they get stuck.

And on rays i get them to swim into a tub, baring in mind all my current rays are under 10"

TrickBaby1019

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Liverpool, N.Y.
The best way to move or relocate a large or monster fish is by hand but it sounds like your method works well so just stick with it as for the t shirt method mentiond wont the material mess with the coat of the fish

Pacu Lady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
Canada
We used a bed sheet to move our Pacu...and once he's in it, when he was flipped on his back he laid absolutley still....until he hit the water....

rtomber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
Mobile,al
I often drain the water take rubber gloves and gently move the fish quickly to the container for moving. But watch out for aros. They are so strong they can litteraly knock you on the floor if you grab too tight. :swear:

sam_cj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2006
PH
Paul_MTS said:
I'ved used a variety of methods depending on the fish.

I had to catch up my aro once to remove a anchor worm so I used a koi sock, he laid still perfectly, because it was pitch black and stillin water.

For a 16" TSN i used a triangle landing net with a string top so when you dislodge the base the 2 sides can be moved togther then i rolled him like THE TRUST said so they can't move.

For my oscar I tried nets but he was jus so damn powerful so i coaxed him into a bag.

For some spikey finned cats I use a new interpet net thats still stiff which there spines can't puncher, on older softer nets they get stuck.

And on rays i get them to swim into a tub, baring in mind all my current rays are under 10"
nice info bro as this involved moving almost all types of monster fishes. :clap

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
The TRUST said:
I use a fishing net. I make sure I choose one made of very soft material, short handle and a deep net. this works great for big fish. I let the fish swim in and immediately flip the net shut and then flip it again so that the fish' weight is supported by the other side of the net so it is easier to lift it and since the fish is "tightly" wrapped in the net it can't struggle as much. If you guys are having a hard time imagining what I just described let me know, I'll try to snap some pics.
Sorry for the extremely late reply Wes. But here are the pics.

Here is my weapon of choice. A deep short handle fishing net made with soft non abrasive fabric. Short handle so it will be easier to manuver with and most tanks that we have are not that deep anyways. I have a 250G and it works fine.

Instead of a fish, I used a fish food container to demonstrate.

so imagine the container is a fish, let it swim all the way into the end of the net.

As soon as the fish is in place, start twsiting the net to seal off the escape route.

eventually there will be no space for the fish to move at all, preventing it from thrashing and the mid part of the net that is now the "bottom" from the twisting should be tight enough at this point to support the weight of the fish on it to help u lift it of of the tank with ease.

If you guys had a hard time picturing the process in your head, I made a Video just in case.

CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store