Metal Monster 650 is it possible? in progress!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
finally fixed my bowing issues by cutting 2x4's to the correct height of the front of the tank and cutting half of the angle on the front frame to relieve the stress. I'm very happy with the results, the bottom is only .25'' off in the center instead of 1'' and i can live with that. The top is now level all the way across without the 2x4's. Also fixed the bottom strap supports and added more pieces where the polypropelene seams meet. more pics coming soon.....

DSCF3436.JPG

DSCF3439.JPG

DSCF3440.JPG

DSCF3453.JPG

DSCF3450.JPG

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3442.JPG

DSCF3446.JPG

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Shark cages hold fish food!
Gwar and MFK? Do your monster fish know how to mosh? LOL!
Great job so far, kinda like a reinvention of the old style tanks, with the stainless steel frames, using modern materials.
For your second tank, fiberglassing is easy. Use a little bondo in the corners to fair em out some, paint the tank with resin, lay the cloth, and use a special roller, available at auto part stores or boat stores, to work the cloth into the resin. Use a squegee to work out the extra resin, and allow to cure. Another light coat of resin to seal the weeve, and then use a squegee to put the gelcoat on and level and smooth it. Your done! There are dyes available for the gelcoat, you can make any color. You could also use it to create some texture, and with your artistic ability I'm sure you could create an amazing background!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
thanks kzimmerman! like the backround idea. I've been dying to fiberglass a skeleton into a tank. I'm thinking something like a full deer or cow lol. It would be amazing. A gator would be my skeleton of choice but I know thats reaching pretty far living in ohio.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sorry to tease....but good news, finally found my camera charger, moved into my new house and have been very very busy with the new fish room and the rest of the place. Picked up a couple new little tanks for myself, 300 and 140 both acrylic :headbang2. I decieded to put plastic up on the ceiling for the first layer of protection against my sickness of fish collecting, Then comes polyuretahne'd luan with trim. My funds are very low hah so the ceiling wont be finished for a while. Also found time to weld up a stand for the 300 using 1'' box tube. And the best moment of all is soon to come, With some help of my friends i managed to get my 650 out of my shop and into the basement. It looks amazing in its final resting place. Still need to whip up a stand for this bad boy and find some time to assemble the inside. All materials are in the basement and this ***** is on its way lol.

ps: I also recieved 15 Gallons of Ames Blue Max liquid rubber i ordered for a 5,000 block tank :naughty: Whats the point of having a basement if you cant swim in it hahahah......

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Good to hear!

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
This sounds like what im planning as im a fabricator by trade but i cant see the damn pics!!!!

steve

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Cut and test fit most all of my material, just need to finish the front window frame. cant post pics without the attachment feature? if someone could help me out with that? much appreciated. I posted a new album in my personal gallery so everyone can check out my progress, you cant miss it lol....finally some nice tank shots and a preview of my first home. I've been working like mad to move in, already have the first 3 tanks cycling and a long way to go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store