deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Richies^Ghost;4148619; said:
I have a couple of questions ;)

1/ Are these US or Imperial gallons?

2/ Are these inside or outside pipe diameter measurements?

3/ Would an internal pipe connection substantially reduce flow - i.e. an internal rather than an external elbow bend, the later of which doesn't chage the internal pipe diameter.

regards,
Richard
1) U.S. gallons

2) Pipe is measured nominally using I.D. and these flow rates were probably calculated using Schedule 40 PVC. There will be different flow rates using Schedule 10 Thin wall (slightly higher) and Schedule 80 Thick wall (slightly lower).

3) I think you may be asking 2 questions here. PVC elbows come in a variety of connection types. Female slip x female slip elbow is connected by a length of pipe. Female slip x male spigot doesn't need a length of pipe to connect them.

Here is a picture that will explain the difference in the fittings.

http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?cartlink=What_Fitting_Do_I_Need.htm

Hope this helped answer your questions.

Richies^Ghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2010
Sydney
Thanks Dee, that's very helpful :)

My third question would have better been posed as "what if something like a spigot 90 were jammed inside a pipe it wasn't meant for, instead of a slip socket 90 - would this bottle neck result in substantially decreased flow?"

Given what you said in response to my second question, my guess is "yes, slighty" :)

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The flow rates are for full pipes (full siphon). If air is introduced, the flow rates will be less because that water volume is replaced with air.

rydog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Lake Norman NC
Hey gang, great post. Who knew I'd need to use all of the pie r squared that I forgot years ago... I had a question and was hoping someone could help me out.

I just picked up a 180gal (60x24x30) tank and its my first large tank. Its been drilled for 4 bulkheads so I am thinking that I'll be using 2 for drains and 2 for returns from a sump. I haven't bought the pump yet and really need some help figuring out what size I should get. The sump is going to be put under the display tank and from what I am figuring there is going to be 6' to the top of the display tank (not sure if the head loss is from the bottom or the top of the sump).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
rydog;4578374; said:
Hey gang, great post. Who knew I'd need to use all of the pie r squared that I forgot years ago... I had a question and was hoping someone could help me out.

I just picked up a 180gal (60x24x30) tank and its my first large tank. Its been drilled for 4 bulkheads so I am thinking that I'll be using 2 for drains and 2 for returns from a sump. I haven't bought the pump yet and really need some help figuring out what size I should get. The sump is going to be put under the display tank and from what I am figuring there is going to be 6' to the top of the display tank (not sure if the head loss is from the bottom or the top of the sump).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!
What size are the holes? What size bulkheads will you be using? This will determine how big your pump can be.

Head loss is determined from the top of the water in the sump to the highest point in which water will travel.

rydog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Lake Norman NC
I have 2 drains plumbed with 1 1/4" and 2 inlets with 1". It looks like it will be able a 5' head loss. Thanks again for the help.

FishInTheFort

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Some great info here, thanks!!

davdev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Somewhere in New England
I made a stupid mistake and when I built my overflow I used a "T" adapter that went from the 1" I was using for the rest of the overflow, to a 3/4" output. Will that really screw me up? I can always swap it out, but it is already glued so if I can leave it be I would like to.

So to make it more clear, if you look at the diagram, all my pipe is 1", but the outflow on "F" is 3/4, I then used another adapter and the pipe going into the sump is back to 1". So the 3/4" is only about 2" of total length in the pipe.

For reference, I have a 75 gallon tank, and an 18 gallon plastic container being used as a sump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store