Aquariums in apartments...

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
I say under 80 may be safest since I was told most bathtubs can hold about 80 gallons(but the floor is braced for tubs), I am renting too and I ask this all the time, but there is no definite answer it all depends where you live and how the building is made, my rent contract says nothing over 30 gallons I think, but I asked the managers office and they said no pets at all, which is complete bs since half the people here have something anyway, What I finally decided was "screw it! " Why the heck do I need a gigantic fish tank in a small place thats not even mine? So I am just gonna be patient ,keep some smaller tanks (unkown by the managers) and just wait until I have my own house to unload Monster style, Jerry Springers final thought....... If someone living in a second story apartment really wants a bigger tank that bad , how hard can it be to just move into a ground floor apartment !!!!?????? AND, if you want a big tank upstairs in your own home and it worries you at all call a pro to come out and check your unique house with itsown design etc. that may not be like anyone elses, I can say that this is the conclusion to my own little adventure in second floor Monster tanks! Don't get me wrong I want a Monster tank bad! very bad!!! Good luck to all my second floor fishkeeping brothers and sisters!!!!! :thumbsup: :woot: :grinyes: :ROFL:

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Strange woman:screwy:

Maltese poodle huh? Nice and fat? Do they eat dogs in Taiwan?
apparently they used to long ago, but these days not that i have heard about. supposedly the main land chinese and cantonese(hong kong) do.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
I say under 80 may be safest since I was told most bathtubs can hold about 80 gallons(but the floor is braced for tubs), I am renting too and I ask this all the time, but there is no definite answer it all depends where you live and how the building is made, my rent contract says nothing over 30 gallons I think, but I asked the managers office and they said no pets at all, which is complete bs since half the people here have something anyway, What I finally decided was "screw it! " Why the heck do I need a gigantic fish tank in a small place thats not even mine? So I am just gonna be patient ,keep some smaller tanks (unkown by the managers) and just wait until I have my own house to unload Monster style, Jerry Springers final thought....... If someone living in a second story apartment really wants a bigger tank that bad , how hard can it be to just move into a ground floor apartment !!!!?????? AND, if you want a big tank upstairs in your own home and it worries you at all call a pro to come out and check your unique house with itsown design etc. that may not be like anyone elses, I can say that this is the conclusion to my own little adventure in second floor Monster tanks! Don't get me wrong I want a Monster tank bad! very bad!!! Good luck to all my second floor fishkeeping brothers and sisters!!!!! :thumbsup: :woot: :grinyes: :ROFL:

To Jerry Springer:
How hard can it be? Quite difficult when your apartment company has itty bitty fine lines saying they require a TWO MONTH notice to leave the actual complex, and then in bigger print is says ONE MONTH to leave the apartment you stay in. Difficult when you're stuck in the same place and theres only one opening when your current lease on a third floor apartment is up and that opening happens to be on a second flood apartment.

So basically I read all that and here's what Imma do. Imma use my looks and brains to my advantage. Dress up in a cute lil miniskirt and halter top and wander the complex til I find the guy who runs the maintenance of the whole place. Bat my eyes and toss my hair and talk like my IQ is roughly around 10, ("OMGOSH! IM SO SORRY TO BOTHER YOU... BUT LIKE...") tell him I want to get another 29 gallon (the one I have now is on the bar so he can't *****) and ask him if he'd pretty please show me the spot in my apartment that could take the most weight. That sounds dangerous though, so I'll just take him a blueprint. He won't be able to tell me I can't have a tank in that kind of situation, and I'll get the information I want with only the littlest of lies. IMMA GENIOUS!

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
Those are some good points! :thumbsup: I tried to explain this to Jerry and this is what he said " You need a bigger tank SOOO bad that you can't wait 2 more months!?! you do realize that there are many,many, other buildings than just the one you live in? Some people move buildings every other month anyway?":swear: That guy can be a real A-hole, thats the last time I go to him for advice! ;) But seriously, I hope the best for you and I hope the tank situation works out, being a member of the I- want- an- MFK- tank- on -the- 2nd- floor -club myself I feel the pain. Ya , it wouldn't be a good idea to dress up and act like that then ask him to come up to your place !:naughty: That might give him the wrong idea! On a not so serious note I didn't realize you were a chick at first and was laughing to myself thinking,miniskirt,halter -top I hope its a chick! :ROFL: :screwy:

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
Lets assume, for a moment that the stand weighs 60 pounds.

the water is ~ 625 pounds

total = 685

Lets add another 125 for good measure (glass/rock filter etc.) Now we are at 810 lbs

The stand is 18 inches by 4 feet or 6 square feet.

Now divide 810 / 6 Thats 135 lbs per square foot.

Now here is the tricky part..... Get your bathroom scale (a scale is about 1 scuare foot)

Step on the scale... If it says more than 135 & you have not fallen through the floor, then the floor will hold the tank.
:thumbsup:

You just cant beat that logic.

We (I) also assume hare that the stand is not a point-loaded stand & will distribute the weight kinda even.

Keeper of the Ropes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2006
Texas
Well I got the tank :) Stayed at a 55 to be safe. To Jerry Springer = We couldnt stay in the old place any longer. The only leases available are 6 and 12 months, and well... you try to live in the smallest size one bedroom apartment with one dog, two cats, three tanks and a boyfriend who stock piles everything and doesn't know how to get rid of anything.... Hehe. We couldn't walk through the living room without stepping on at least 3 legs or tails. It was absolutely ridiculous. Hey Lil_Stinker... that was an awesome post. You made it very easy to understand, which says alot seeing as how I've now worked 40 hours in four days, and the last 10 hour shift I went thru was only on three hours sleep. I feel like my IQ really IS 10 right now.

And yes, I'm girl. ALLL girl

**edited to add... also, old apartment was on the third floor. Imagine going to the grocery store... buying $150.00 of groceries, not having a parking space when you get home, parking in visitor parking and carrying all that to the building THEN up three flights of stairs. Nope. Couldn't do it anymore ;)

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
i went through this once myself. i did all the math to see how much water I could put in my pond on the second floor. i used the wieght per sqaure foot, and fully loaded the wiehgt comes to around 100 lbs. psf! But I also realized that if I were to put all 350 gals in there that if not positioned directly over a support that the floor over time would sag and eventually fail! My solution, i moved into a concrete basement!

Trentos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2006
Canada
Your best bet is to do an approx guess on the weight oh the tank (10lbs/gallon+decorations and substrate+tank+stand+100 extra pounds) if you come out with the weight of a sofa or a fridge ur fine... but a car... well I had to put mine in the basement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store