Squid as a staple

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Anybody tried using squid as a regular diet? Ive been using shrimp as a staple for years
as it is quite easy to prepare and all my fish will take it willingly. I tried squid last night
on my fish and i was impressed by the result.

My arowana ( not the biggest eater ) lunged at the strips, the datnoids relished it and so did my rays. But the best part about it was i did not spend 5 minutes after the feeding netting out tiny bits of squid. Its cleaner than shrimp !

Any experience and comments on feeding your monsters with calamari ? :)

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Any seafood white meats, including cleaned squid and fresh/frozen/thawed raw shrimp, contains thiaminase which inhibits the fish's ability to assimilate and metabolize nutrients. As a staple, both squid and/or shrimp are OK provided you offer a supplement to offset missing vitamins and nutrients in a restricted diet. I use Vita-Chem in all of my predator tanks to replenish/provide missing vitamins (including B1 to offset the affects of thiaminase), minerals, and trace elements.

Reactions: Showstoppermoments

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Any seafood white meats, including cleaned squid and fresh/frozen/thawed raw shrimp, contains thiaminase which inhibits the fish's ability to assimilate and metabolize nutrients. As a staple, both squid and/or shrimp are OK provided you offer a supplement to offset missing vitamins and nutrients in a restricted diet. I use Vita-Chem in all of my predator tanks to replenish/provide missing vitamins (including B1 to offset the affects of thiaminase), minerals, and trace elements.

Thanks oddball ! but as far as palatability , squid is high up there..

deangelo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2006
Pilipinas/ Los Angeles
How big do you cut the strips RTF? I tried some on my silvers,CK, goby and puffer..They spit it out:confused: they might have found it a little too tough........:(

is300zx

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Bay Area CA.
Tried it last night and my fish loved the tentacles but the other parts not so much. And we adobo the rest of the pusit lol.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
I feed squid to all my fish. They eat it well. I don't use it as a staple but i do use it to supplement the other foods i feed my fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store