Mounting your special fish?

If your favorite fish died would you consider taking it to the taxidermist?

• Yes

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

Diamondhitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
Alberta
I would...if I had the cash. How much does it cost on average? I remember seeing an add when I was sport fishing with my dad for a taxidermist that can mount an animal that you just tank pics of so it doesnt have to be dead.

Dont count on it for aquarium fish. This is done by the use of fibreglass casts of actual fish that the taxidermist purchases and paints. I think you can see where I am going with this, for instance there are hundreds of Largemouth bass 'blanks' available because they (and other gamefish) are very commonly mounted. The less common a fish is the less sizes and positions there are available. Most common game fish have a good selection and you have an excellent chance of there being a blank of similar (note I did not say exact) size available. 99% of the time with aquarium fish you are looking at a good old fashioned skin mount (so bring your fish AND some good pics). The disadvantage of skin mounts is that they will exibit some small amounts of shrinkage in the fins and branchiostegal rays etc. (anywhere fleshy that cannot be skinned) The advantage of a skin mount is that the natural patterns of your fish right down to the small details will still be apparent when the taxidermist 'paints' your fish. Paint is a bad word here because a top notch taxidermist will use many transparent layers of color and even then as sparingly as possible to simply restore the natural color of the fish, not try to completely replace it like an artist would do in an oil painting.

P.S. cost varies all around the country but a replica is almost always more expensive.

ging

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2006
Manchester UK
No way, that is on the same level of weird as that nutty woman who had her cat stuffed once it had died. just throw it in the fookin bin!

i can actually do some basic taxidermy, with incests, arachnids, myriapods and amphibians

ging

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2006
Manchester UK
No way, that is on the same level of weird as that nutty woman who had her cat stuffed once it had died. just throw it in the fookin bin!

i can actually do some basic taxidermy, with incests, arachnids, myriapods and amphibians
my mate Dmitri showed me how

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Dont count on it for aquarium fish. This is done by the use of fibreglass casts of actual fish that the taxidermist purchases and paints. I think you can see where I am going with this, for instance there are hundreds of Largemouth bass 'blanks' available because they (and other gamefish) are very commonly mounted. The less common a fish is the less sizes and positions there are available. Most common game fish have a good selection and you have an excellent chance of there being a blank of similar (note I did not say exact) size available. 99% of the time with aquarium fish you are looking at a good old fashioned skin mount (so bring your fish AND some good pics). The disadvantage of skin mounts is that they will exibit some small amounts of shrinkage in the fins and branchiostegal rays etc. (anywhere fleshy that cannot be skinned) The advantage of a skin mount is that the natural patterns of your fish right down to the small details will still be apparent when the taxidermist 'paints' your fish. Paint is a bad word here because a top notch taxidermist will use many transparent layers of color and even then as sparingly as possible to simply restore the natural color of the fish, not try to completely replace it like an artist would do in an oil painting.

P.S. cost varies all around the country but a replica is almost always more expensive.

My fish is 100% the original! I took it to him....sat there for awhile looking at paint colors, and which side was the best looking...Then when he was done mounting it, I went in for the final coloration....I was able to see the painting process and pick out more colors! I paid about $275 bucks for him to be done. He was going to charge me more cause he had a hard time with the scales wanting to fall off....But, he kept his word! Also, this guy does not use any king of fiberglass forms....He is a true artist, and a great one at tha what he does!

Jen ;)

Diamondhitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2006
Alberta
My fish is 100% the original! I took it to him....sat there for awhile looking at paint colors, and which side was the best looking...Then when he was done mounting it, I went in for the final coloration....I was able to see the painting process and pick out more colors! I paid about $275 bucks for him to be done. He was going to charge me more cause he had a hard time with the scales wanting to fall off....But, he kept his word! Also, this guy does not use any king of fiberglass forms....He is a true artist, and a great one at tha what he does!

Jen ;)

Thats pretty cool, most taxidermists dont want clients anywhere near them when they are working. (mainly because it takes longer to do a mount with someone standing over your shoulder asking 1001 questions, and time is money$$$)

F.Y.I. He had no right to ask for more money for the loose scale issue. It is common knowledge that may fish, especialy large scaled silvery colored fish, have loose scales. Your taxidermist may have had no experience with fish like that as they are far less commonly mounted. Had he soaked the fish in alcohol for an hour or more prior to skinning it the skin would have tightened up and held the scales better. But it turned out well so no harm no foul. Im glad you had such a good guy doing the work for you.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Considering my stepmom does a little bit of taxidermy I would for sure. The only hard part about it is that you have to airbrush the colors on...

Chad

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
I have 2 fish mounted at this point, and one being worked on. None of them were pets though. Prices range from $7-$23 per inch of fish, depending on the quality of work that the artist does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store