red tail catfish in cold pond help

cubanboy1538

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
South Carolina
i have a red tail catfish and was wondering what i could do for him during a south carolina winter. he is going to be in a 2000 gallon outdoor pond and it gets down to the 30s for a month or 2 so its pretty cool but the water should change that dramastically because bodies of water in sc never freeze at all. i was just wondering if there was a way i could keep him warm in the pond and what was his losted tolerated temerature. i was thing about sinking 2 or 3 deicers at the bottom so that he could sit down there with there warmth . im new here so all responses wuld be awsum

Reactions: Bbuckley

troppond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2010
westfield, indiana
I mean the pond heaters would keep a small area warm, but you also have to remember the rtc wouldn't be able to move from that spot and how would you feed it?

mqktandy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Iowa
Ur looking at about 600-1000 a month in electricity to heat that pond properly. Gl with that....or buy a water trough and winter him in ur basement.

cubanboy1538

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
South Carolina
I think I'm just gunna convince my parents to get a big ass heater for me for an early christmas present. And I'll cover the pond in a pool thermal cover thing cuz of evaporation and since the koi won't go into hibernation they will grow all winter and their will be a lesser chance of Monte eating them. Yep

redtailcatfreak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2011
Where the gators are
look for a hot tub on craigslist and use that heater. Its cheap to run and can heat large amounts, plus u have control over the temps. Also the thermal covers only at 15 degrees but they do help alot. One other solution would be look into getting a greenhouse building. Some places sell them for pretty cheap and at good sizes. there easy to put together. And just get a room heater and put it inside.

jvai

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
Mo
look for a hot tub on craigslist and use that heater. Its cheap to run and can heat large amounts, plus u have control over the temps. Also the thermal covers only at 15 degrees but they do help alot.

You my friend are a genius.... never thought of that, you have helped me out more than you could know. I would just use the pumps and run tubing instead of using the whole hot tub though.

cubanboy1538

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2011
South Carolina
Thnx for all the help. This winter I'm gunna try it on out . And hey!!! It'll be just like a hot tub and I can get on in with Monte and really hand feed him haha. And this pond tour I'm joining is gunn a ask y the hell this 14 yr old kid is being an idiot and feeding his koi..... But they won't know it heated hahaha :popcorn: when this is all done I'm gunna definitely post a video of me swimming durin the winter on mfk

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store