Apartments

Ambervikings91

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Tatooine
landlords are a problem, like someone else said that was one of my motivations for getting a house, i may have a small house but it is full of fish tanks and no jerk to tell me not too!

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; (OLDRECYCLEDPOST) Here are some webaddresses about floor capacity. The first address is a new one from a post byanother Monster Fish forum member a while back. Here are the addresses againwith the first being new to the list. Floor capacity depends on a lot of criteria,there is not a simple answer to the question.

This web address is added to the list http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_weight.php It is perhaps the easiest to follow. Note– After reading the new address at the top of the post, I will be using 40pounds per square foot for my wood floor joists.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7485788_calculate-floor-load-capacity.html

The web address above is a site about calculating loadcapacities of floor joists. They use a formula for the strength of a beam: maximum load in pounds = FBd^2 / 9L.

The width of the woodjoist in inches is B (1.5 inches forstandard 2 by dimensional lumber.)

The depth in inches is d (7.25 in for a standard 2x8.)(9.25 in for a2x10)

The distance (span) in feet is L (Unsupported distance)

F is somethingcalled the fiber stress when wood bends. It varies with the type of wood butgraded lumber will be at least a 1,000 number, some are higher.

They use an example of 2x10 floor joists with a span of 14feet on 16 inch centers and come up with 1,019 pd for each joist. They figure the area supported by each joistas 18.7 sq ft. They get 54.5 pd per square foot of floor area. I think this includes the weight of theflooring and anything else that is supported by the joists. I looked at someother sites (Addresses listed below) and found a discussion of static loads andlive loads. Two sites describe how to measure the deflection of flooring due toweight loads.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/calc/timbercalcstyle.asp?species=Douglas+Fir-South&size=2x8&grade=Select+Structural&member=Floor+Joists&deflectionlimit=L%2F480&spacing=16&wet=No&incised=No&liveload=80&snowload=-1&deadload=10&submit=Calculate+Maximum+Horizontal+Span

I found these sites interesting but hard to pin down for ageneral rule of thumb. Too many variables involved; Type of wood, condition ofwood, dimensional lumber or engineered truss, age of wood and on and on.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=62845&page=10

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Sorry about the words running together. When i copy and paste to this forum some of the spaces between words are left out.

Cichkeepr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
Here's my 2 cents. I live in a 100+ yr old house, 2nd floor of 3 fam, with uneven hardwood floors and 8 tanks. (3) 30's and a 5 gal in a walk in closet room, (1) 55 in another room and (3) 30's in livingroom. Landlord helped bring in my largest tank, knows how many I have. Made him feel better by buying renters insurance and rugs that retain water (to protect floors).

Only 5 of them are against outside walls (all 30's). But I have them spread out pretty good and I have 2 double stands holding 4 of the 30's to save space. All tanks are resting on 3/4 inch plywood and leveled as good as I could get. No issues for the last few years. Hope to move within the next 2 years so I can buy a 125 so I can get rid of 3-4 of the 30's.

Hope it works out for you. Reassure the landlord with a plan to protect the property and level the best way to spread out the weight. Rethink the stocking if you can. I had to move fish around alot and found that sometimes it worked out, even with the incompatible ones.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Thanks for all the input guys. As far as moving my fish around I am not willing to risk the fish and the expense of moving them together. Plus a good portion of my stock are piranhas.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Wow - dont know where you guys rented... but aquariums are permitted and anything within reason acceptable here... Of course no knocking out walls and such...

IT IS NOT ANY OF YOUR LANDLORDS BIZ WHAT YOU DO IN THE PRIVACY OF YOUR HOME (Wrong- of course it is their business. It literally is their business). The only time he/she may interfere is if your actions are disturbing others and causing risk (You don't think 300+ gallons of water and 3,000lbs+ poses a risk?) ...like with a violent barking dog... or you choose to not clean up after your pets and the smell has overpowered the hallways...(yuk) ... As for fishtanks - They dont care, its for the most part a self contained quiet non obtrusive hobby.. If your all spilly with water and damaging property that might piss em off. (That much water on the 4th floor can cause tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage...think of the costs involved of replacing floors and drywall for OP's unit and all the units below his..."might piss them off" "if you're all spilly" is an understatement).

I do believe the weight ratio is like 8 pounds per gallon (It's 8.33lbs per gallon). Do your tanks weigh more than the fridge and stove stacked together? The answer is, probably not. (Wrong again. A fully stocked fridge might weigh 600lbs, a stove 300lbs = total of 900lbs. The total weight of all of those tanks will be 3 times as much as the fridge and stove).
if you are renting an apartment in someones private home its a little different - their house their rules (Wrong again- renting a house is no different than renting an apartment in the sense that you either abide by the terms of the lease or face eviction), but I assume we are talking about a residential complex...
here's what you need to worry about - How old is the building? and, what are the faucets like? Quality of tap water? Oh and are you metered for hydro individually or is it all inclusive in your rent?
the age of the building will be a good indication of the floor supports (The age of the building has much less to do with the strength than the actual materials that your building is made of) ... no matter what floor you live on. ...
are there stairs or elevators?, narrow hallways?
Are the floors a creaky with rickety wood, can you hear the people bellow you? --- you probably should not have rented there at all...

none the less - if its a condo and you pay condo fees.. or you rent in an apartment complex... the rule of thumb is, you break it you buy it... if you are the cause of some destruction to the buildings integrity - be prepared to pay for the repairs... and if you want to move out - you better put the apartment back to the way it looked when you moved in. (I agree with you here...it's not just damage caused to your unit...if you are the cause of water damage to the units below yours, you are also responsible for the damage).

GET RENTERS INSURANCE! my god it was the most brilliant thing I did - my coverage took care of everything, from fire to flood. Theft, vandalism you name it if anything happened to my home, the contents in it, at my hand, or at my guests hand... it woudl be covered to a huge extent...(Good advice here)
Katatonic -I don't mean to pick on you, but some of what you wrote is flat out wrong.

To the OP, I'm not saying you can't set these up, but you should make sure your landlord is aware of your intentions on setting up all those tanks. They will find out about them sooner or later and if it turns out they do not allow aquariums (I have known many complexes that do not allow anything above a 10 gallon tank), you could find yourself in quite the predicament. The last thing you want to do is have to find a new place to live in a short period of time, or have a firesale of all your stock and equipment if you are violation of the terms of your lease.

Jon M

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2010
Port Saint John, FL
He's just asking about the weight of the tanks. I really doubt OP wants to hear people telling him to talk to his landlord... Anyhow, I've never had any issues with tanks that size in my second floor apartment. I currently have my 125g 6ft long tank in my living room no problems, and my girl friend has her two 40g breeders on a double stand in the bedroom not on any outdoor wall, no problem. At one point I had a caddy cornered 125g 4.5' long tank in the living room (which was really heavy, pressured on 6 legs instead of all around the stand, and super tall, and also kind of out in the room since it was caddy cornered) with a 95g 5ft long tank right across from it against another wall with no issues. I doubt you'll have any issues with those tanks being nothing you have is really too big. A sofa with 3-4 grown 180-200lb men on it will be getting as heavy as 55g-75g tank and we don't worry about things like that when placing furniture in an upper apartment. I doubt you'll have any issues.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I live in an apartment with 2 150s and a 30gal tank but aim on the first floor. I don't trust my tanks on any other floor the risk for me is not worth it because of the expense if something did happen. I just don't trust it i guess. I am allowed aquariums on first floor only where I live. I did have a 55gal on the 2nd floor of a town house I lived in and it was fine. The building had a solid structure though. If you do iti would definitely get renters insurance

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
He's just asking about the weight of the tanks. I really doubt OP wants to hear people telling him to talk to his landlord... Anyhow, I've never had any issues with tanks that size in my second floor apartment. I currently have my 125g 6ft long tank in my living room no problems, and my girl friend has her two 40g breeders on a double stand in the bedroom not on any outdoor wall, no problem. At one point I had a caddy cornered 125g 4.5' long tank in the living room (which was really heavy, pressured on 6 legs instead of all around the stand, and super tall, and also kind of out in the room since it was caddy cornered) with a 95g 5ft long tank right across from it against another wall with no issues. I doubt you'll have any issues with those tanks being nothing you have is really too big. A sofa with 3-4 grown 180-200lb men on it will be getting as heavy as 55g-75g tank and we don't worry about things like that when placing furniture in an upper apartment. I doubt you'll have any issues.
There's a reason several people have mentioned that he should clear having 300+ gallons of aquariums with the landlord...it can be a real issue. One of the things I like best about this site is people sharing ideas that I may not have considered. If he doesn't want to hear it, he can ignore it. But why not ask the landlord about it and find out now if it will be an issue as opposed to having the landlord freak out when they come to service his A/C unit, fix a leaky toilet or any other issue?

It would be foolish to rely on what some random person on the internet says about a floors ability to hold a load when the specs of the floor have not even been laid out. There is a difference between a couch holding a few guys for a few hours a day (transient load) versus tanks that have the flooring under a longer term (24/7) live load.

The last place I lived had concrete floors and I would have been comfortable setting up a 240G on it (I was on the 7th floor). My brother owns an apartment building with wood floor joists that was built around the same time as my old apartment with concrete floors and a 50G would cause his floors to sag. Both buildings were built to code for the type of construction used at the time, but there are drastic differences in how much weight each can hold.

To the OP, if you are going to keep the tanks a secret, and you aren't able to find a unit on the 1st floor on concrete slab foundation, the least you should do is find out which way your floor joists run and set your tanks up perpindicular to them. The more floor joists your tank sits over, the better. Placing the tanks near a load bearing wall would also be a good idea. And lastly, I wouldn't multi-task when doing water changes. Losing track of time when you are filling up a tank could spell disaster/financial ruin for you. I know you didn't specifically ask for that advice (sorry Jon M), but I'll still offer it up. :thumbsup:

Best of luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store