Apartments

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
So I am about to move to a new apartment and I would like to keep my fish. I have pretty much always lived in houses so I never had a issue spreading out the tanks. How can I determine how much weight the floor can handle? Ideally I want to move a 46g, 2 75g, 1 55g, 1 40g, and 1 20g. Its only a one bedroom apt. I can fit it all, but don't know if it is safe.

Thanks

UltimateRayz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2011
Rhode island
What floor of the aparment are you moving on? How old is the place? Are all the tanks going in one room? Thats gotta be around 2500 lbs, of just water.... regardless, nice collection of tanks!

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
4TH flloor and they would be spread out around one room more or less

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm guessing you are clear with the landlord on whether or not you can have these tanks in the apartment?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I could always set up less tanks, but then I would have to get rid of a lot of my stock. I would rather not do that.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
again, does your landlord know? If he/she/company does not, you might be in a rude surprise. When I was renting the largest Aquarium people allow was one 10 gallon.

skjl47

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; One of the reasons I stopped renting and bought a house is to be able to set up more tanks. So far the repair on the house has been a major drag. If I survive the fixup, there will be many tanks. While renting I had to run things by the landlord. I have found things to go better when I tell people up front what my intentions are. The landlord will find out about the tanks eventually.
With that many tanks you will have spills and likely some leaks. The property damage can be expensive for water leaks or structrual damage due to weight. I carried renters insurance for damage, to cover my stuff and for liability in case some one got hurt.
There is no way to guess about the soundness of floor structure without having a good look. I have needed to reinforce some floor joists so far due to improper cuts being made at some point in the past.
I would run the plan by the landlord and if he/she balks try to find a different place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store