Crenicichla Sp. Belly Crawler

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
What is the max size for a belly crawler? and for Peanut... I have heard you talk about your first pike being a bellew crawler and the empression I get is that you don't like them... why? Also can anybody else help me out with experiences, yes or no to getting them, and other essential information on them.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Cr. sp. "Belly Cralwer" are one of the most common pikes so I think they get a bum rap just for this reason. Secondly, they are not terribly colorful... at least when first purchased, so they are skipped over for more spectacular species.

With that said, I think they are greatly under-appreciated. When properly cared for, females develop a scarlet red dorsal and belly stripe which is quite attractive. They also typically have a cool oceli on their dorsal fin. "Belly Crawlers" also stay moderately sized so that even the casual Chichididiot can keep them in tanks as small as 40 gallons with minimal intraspecific aggression. Their behaviour of hopping around on the bottom of the tank is interesting in and of itself but when coupled with interaction with each other and tankmates, make for quite interesting inhabitants.

Lastly, if you like them, screw everyone else. It's what intrigues and makes you happy that counts!!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Belly Crawler was my very first pike, totally awesome fish. I absolutely loved him, maxed out at 9"...a very thick and grumpy male...haha. Grew him out from 2"....awesome fish. They are totally worth it and I think they are a GREAT starter pike! Cheap, easy to find, and quickly grow on you. Thats why I am so in love with pikes today is because of my first experiences with 'belly crawler'. Its not that I don't like them, its just there are soo many other pikes out there that I would rather have, that look better and are harder to get. I can get a belly crawler practically any time i wanted...haha....;). Like Scat. said, if you want one, get it...;)

buddah101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
I keep one. It's a lil female with lots of coloration. I did a long and hard study on the life and "habits" of this fish and probably know more on this fish than anyother fish I have. I actually wrote a paper on them and thier habits. Kinda interesting too. I'll try to find it and repost it. It was like 2 years ago though.

Reactions: Deputydirty

Deputydirty

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2019
London, Ontario
I keep one. It's a lil female with lots of coloration. I did a long and hard study on the life and "habits" of this fish and probably know more on this fish than anyother fish I have. I actually wrote a paper on them and thier habits. Kinda interesting too. I'll try to find it and repost it. It was like 2 years ago though.
Can you send me the link on that article you wrote plz

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store