LFS: USA & CAN

SeanDirty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Astoria Queens
This thread makes no sense... If we had it seperated by state then ok yea... but by country... its not like im gonna click through 100+ pages to stumble upon someones hopeful post that its in NYC... could some moderator maybe remake it.... and make tabs by state...

Cleanbio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2010
Toronto, ON
Someone already mentioned the Big Als (Kennedy location) in Toronto.

In addition I would say Finatics, further down the road...they specialize in Malawi, and other african rift fishes...great selection of fish that you can't readily get from big als.

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
SeanDirty;5081828; said:
This thread makes no sense... If we had it seperated by state then ok yea... but by country... its not like im gonna click through 100+ pages to stumble upon someones hopeful post that its in NYC... could some moderator maybe remake it.... and make tabs by state...
yyuuup.

a sub-forum with local fish store reviews by state would be awesome!

it's been mentioned a bunch of times already in this thread but no actions from the staff yet.

hmm... i think i'll go make a post in the Comments, Bugs, and Suggestions forum....

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5084327#post5084327

bigcatlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
Colorado
Local fish stores in CO are a little sparse and it seems like half of them have gone out of business, but there are a few that are pretty good in my opinion. One of our favorites is Fish Palace in Aurora. They definitely pull in some pretty cool cats there! We've gotten some of our favorites there including a tig, achara, and planiceps. Typically they also have rtc, tsn, and rtcxtsn as well. They've had a gulper cat there for a while and from time to time they get various other pretty unique cats. They also stock some other really cool predators that are harder to find at other stores. Be prepared to pay for it though 'cause they aren't cheap...not overpriced necessarily though. They just stock pricey fish. Another thing that's nice about Fish Palace is that if you're looking for a specific fish if they can find it and order it for you, they often will. A lot of the stores around here that I've been to won't do that.

We also like About Fish Inc. off of Federal Blvd in Westminster. They don't carry as many of the hard to find predators, but their fish are healthy and their prices are good. They typically have a decent supply of cichlids and we got a very healthy 4" silver aro from them for $29.99 which we thought was pretty darn reasonable. They do a bit of breeding there too, so if you're looking to grow your cichlids out or buy a bunch to find a breeding pair they've got you covered. They also do some equipment consignment there. We found two nice acrylic tanks with filters and stands at very reasonable prices, but of course, the consignment stuff is hit or miss.

Aqua Imports in Boulder is usually worth the trip. They carry a wide variety of fresh water fish and occasionally bring in the rare and unusual. In my opinion, their prices are a bit inflated, but if it's the right fish it could be worth it...

Golden Fish off of Colfax in Lakewood is good for flowerhorns, discus, and the occasional hard to find predator.

Hope that helps! By the way, I think Denizens of the Deep is now a store called Great White Aquatics. They periodically post new info. about their stock on fort collins CL.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
+1 thats what i thought this thread was gonna be like

But to add to this thread aqua imports in boulder CO is a decent store they got pretty pricey lately though Fish palace in aurora CO is a great store

NEW STORE : Catfish charlie's is back after Many years 1312 Centaur village DR. - Lafayette 303-665-3322 or catfishcharliestropicalfish.com there just getting started and are a little small but they had a nice Motoro ray and they sell live black worms which i don't see to often The owner told me that he will order any fish on my wish list he can find

polarbear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2008
Calgary Alberta
I am sure it has been mentioned but Big Al's Pet Emporium - 2020 32 Ave NE Calgary Alberta is awesome. They have a manager named Brandon (I think thats his name) that is new, he is awesome. So helpful, really knows his stuff. Its a solid 30 minute drive for us but it is usually our first choice. I saw Pisces mentioned, I don't find that I have ever dealt with knowledgeable staff there.

I know I will get crucified for saying this but Petsmart 4307 130 Ave SE Calgary has a really amazing employee. He has long hair and a goatee if you are looking for help. He knows his fish but also has been a great help in making sure we find good food for our picky husky. When he doesn't have an answer, he admits it and makes a phone call. I won't lie he is the reason we have a couple of Jewels in our african tank (I know I know shouldn't happen) but my wife saw them and had to have them. We asked and he said he didn't know if they worked together he hadn't dealt with them a lot. He called two people in front of us who said it would be ok. It has been ok but we are looking at rehoming the little guys because of the potential. They are incredibly docile fish for the rep jewels get. They spawned yesterday and continued to show zero aggression as long as the fish didn't go sit right on the rocks the eggs are on. I don't feel it was his mistake, he called fish keepers he trusted. He is great at helping and trying to get good info. He has a soft spot for fish being bullied and basically gave us a demasoni just so the other fish it was kept with wouldn't bully it anymore.

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Family Pet Connection-Skowhegan, ME

Not a big selection, but they always have oddballs that I have rarely seen anywhere else. Good helpful staff that CARE. They will also order anything for you. Everything is a reasonable price, and for the reptile guys-the owner is very knowledgeable and breeds a few different herps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store