my 34" silver aro

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
kaya asked me to post pics of my big silver in a different thread, so here he is.

I'm happy to say the plans for his new tank are almost done and he will have a much bigger home to hopefully grow some more. he's 4-5 years old, I've had him since he was less than 8". it's extremely difficult to find huge tanks here and unfortunately he's grown out in a 6'x2' footprint. while I know I am way late with an upgrade, it is coming and I do have a 15x turnover rate on this tank including a 55g sump for added water volume, 2x weekly 30% wc's, it's a very well maintained tank considering the bioload. also, sorry bout my crappy camera skills

Go Big or Go home

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2012
NY
H]-[H;5534775 said:
Is that an asian aro in the first pic in front of the silver?
Btw, your silver is a beast!
He lives in canada so it may be possible looks like a RTG

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
yes, the other aro is a green and is about 18", they are both good buds and seem to actually enjoy eachother's company.

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
Wow! That aro is a beast.

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
Nice Aro.
Yes, your camera skills are really crappy and does not do justice to that Aro at all. :)

Can you give us some more info?
How often do you feed him?
Does he have drop eye?
I guess he is still able to turn in the 2' tank eventhough he is 34" right? (I'm asking because the maxm width my tankbuilder can do for me is 30" and I have a silver Aro too)

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
Nice Aro.
Yes, your camera skills are really crappy and does not do justice to that Aro at all. :)

Can you give us some more info?
How often do you feed him?
Does he have drop eye?
I guess he is still able to turn in the 2' tank eventhough he is 34" right? (I'm asking because the maxm width my tankbuilder can do for me is 30" and I have a silver Aro too)
yeah, I really suck at taking good fish/tank pics.
at this size he eats evey other day. he does have dropeye and he has jumped many many times over the years (I always believed DE was caused from head trauma, but who knows). he has grown back his barbels 3x now. he is still comfortable turning around, but obviously the more room the better. his diet is mainly smelt, market shrimp, and superworms. he won't take pellets anymore, nor would I think they could fill him up.

btw, when he does jump, I can easily lose 5g of tankwater, sometimes more. I keep plexi lids ontop the tank so he doesn't break the lighting and then I have a very heavy wooden canopy ontop.

Crispy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Ontario Canada
btw, quick question, why aren't there more 30"+ silvers around here? I see huge tanks capable of growing some bigger than mine, but always see them maxing out around 28"?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store