"Python eel" species ID

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I recently picked up two fish labeled as "python eels" at my lfs. They're awesome, awesome eels. I feed them earthworms through a tube, and they get so excited the second the tube is in the water that they practically try to mate with it. It's kind of awesome. Anyway, here's a pic of the smaller of the two:

IMG_20120211_134117.jpg

I'd say she's about 10'', and the larger one is 12+ and is almost twice as thick as her. Sometimes they burrow into the substrate, but mostly they stay hidden and immobile in my plants.

Anybody could give me a latin name for these guys so I can find out more about them? They didn't have much info for me at the fish store, and I've only seen "python eels" on aquabid once. They're obviously called this because of the python-like patterning on their sides and tail.

Thanks!

IMG_20120211_134117.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Sorry the pic isn't great, but I'm pretty well convinced they aren't either of those species. I've seen both of those in the same LFS I got these guys from, in fact. When I say they have a python-like pattern (hence the name), think snakeskin handbag.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I looked it up and all I could find was "Macrognathus cf. circumcinctus," so it looks like these eels may not have an official latin name yet.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Pretty sure they are Circ's... They really do get nice patterns on them when they are well cared for. 100% Macros though. so those guys should be full grown or pretty close.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Pretty sure they are Circ's... They really do get nice patterns on them when they are well cared for. 100% Macros though. so those guys should be full grown or pretty close.
I don't think so; their pattern is a lot different, and they are almost twice the maximum size of M. circumcinctus in captivity...

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
I've seen Circs 10"+... but after the pic Kevin showed. looks alot like the eel Kolossus had/has it got approx 18" at a few years of age, iir it had similar aggro levels to TT's. Believe he called it a Borneo Python Eel. where's Oddball when you need him? ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store