"Python eel" species ID

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I've seen Circs 10"+... but after the pic Kevin showed. looks alot like the eel Kolossus had/has it got approx 18" at a few years of age, iir it had similar aggro levels to TT's. Believe he called it a Borneo Python Eel. where's Oddball when you need him? ;)
Oh yeah, I forgot about his thread. It does look like his was the same species... (to anyone who hasn't seen the thread, here's the link: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...orneo-Python-Eel-UPDATE&p=3902258#post3902258 ). And I agree about Oddball; I've been waiting for him to pop up out of nowhere with the scientific name, origin, husbandry info, etc. lol.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If it's the same species Kollossus had I'de surmise you can expect 18"-24" potentially or even larger. Kolossus takes good care of his fish so I'de be surprized if they got much bigger then that. When I first got my M Dayi no one thought they got much bigger then 12".. atm one of mine is 18" at about 1yr follwing the same growth rate my fire eels did... Take good care of them 'n see how big they get for ya ;)

aquami

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
texas
I have one also and with a little time they become less shy. Mine devours earthworms/night crawlers. I had two of them but they fought with one another and I had to take one back. My tank may have been a little too small for two. Great looking fish.

129.JPG

130.JPG

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Very Nice.. I tried bribing Kollosus' offa him.. I may have to check into my LFS to see if anyone can source them.. 'm not paying 100$ for a spiney eel... no matter how cool they are ;) But these guys are very cool. Aquami You're description of them does indeed sound alot like a TT's temperment. and Kevin Must have Pics of your Fire eel! I miss mine Terriably.

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
cool eel! my LFS had one in he was 100.00 for it but he was already sold so i got a mastacembelus liberiensis..

Mr Mikey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2010
Vicksburg, MS
I have one also and with a little time they become less shy. Mine devours earthworms/night crawlers. I had two of them but they fought with one another and I had to take one back. My tank may have been a little too small for two. Great looking fish.
Sorry for rezzing this older thread, but when it comes to the python eels, there are 2 different variations. There's the Borneo Spiny Eel(Macrognathus constringere). Then there is the Borneo Giant Python Spiny Eel(Mastacembelus constringere sub. magnus).

Another cool one I've been searching a long time for is of Burmese origin, the Mastacembelus pinna sub. ruber; oh, and the Macrognathus ignis sub. fantasiae is also really cool looking.

If anyone has anything to add or correct me about, go right ahead; this is info collected from multiple archives I've been in contact with trying to decipher pics and get accurate names from countries of origin. The sub-species' spellings may be a little off, as I don't practice Latin as often as I should.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store