February 2012 - Photo of the Month Winner!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Congrats to greenterra!

Phractocephalus hemioliopterus a.k.a. Redtail Catfish

greenterra2.jpg

greenterra2.jpg

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
wonderful pic and beautiful cat.. i should have known it was your awesome pic...congradulations !!!!

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Ok. How do you guys get the fish to hover in the black like that to get these awesome pics?! Doesn't everything else get in the way? Or do you digitally edit them after taking them? I'm looking at my tank and my camera going How the hell.... A few pointers would be nice! lol.

Oh and thank you Pharaoh for identifying the fish! :)

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Hey Kelly, the black background is from using a remote overhead flash and shooting the fish mid water. The light output from the flash is much brighter than any other light source that might otherwise illuminate the tank. With the correct settings, the camera will only see what is within the light column produced from the flash. Everything else will be black. ;)

KellyFrancis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Somerset WI
Hey Kelly, the black background is from using a remote overhead flash and shooting the fish mid water. The light output from the flash is much brighter than any other light source that might otherwise illuminate the tank. With the correct settings, the camera will only see what is within the light column produced from the flash. Everything else will be black. ;)
So that's the secret. neat trick. thanks for filling me in on that. saved me another excedrin, lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store