Gar behavior. Strange or normal?

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Both of my Floridas do that type of swim motion, described by the OP, whenever they swim in the flow path of one of my Hydor Koralia's. The current disrupts their swimming. Do you have any water movement?

jay_leask

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
canada
my florida gar did that too almost looked like it was having spasms or something.

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
i have a power head so yes there is a little current. im still stumped to why it died. Really just dont want to fool with it now.

tazjack

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2010
Illinois
Sorry about your gar...you should continue to fool with it. It could have been something specifc to the gar if all other parameters are good. Are there other tank mates? My florida never behaved as such, so its hard for me to tell (maybe I have a lazy one bc mine is overly chill all the time). This is opposite to my shortnose who is a little crazy. The water flow in my tank is much more than I would probably like, but they do okay in it. I will say that I do not have any decor in the tank though, but I don't know if that would make much of a difference. Also I'm not sure if parasites would cause a fish to behave any differently. I'm sure over time you may be able to figure it out bc you watched it everyday and are aware of behavioral and tank changes. I say get another one if they make you happy. Sorry again.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
did you treat them with prazi pro? i used to offer it to mine since when i got them they was all on live foods only did it every 6 months

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Kind of hard to explain. I should have got a video. It was always swimming back and fourth across the front of the tank night before it died. It would be swimming forward then curl its tail around then straighten it back then do it again. Sometimes several times beofre going back to normal. It would probably act about the same as if it were hung up in some weeds or something. Kind of like it was confused on what it wanted to do. The fish has no signs of injury or disease. And it had good coloration to it to. Im seriously bummed out about it. Just brought it some food home to eat too.
Many times Gars will do a similar nose on glass action when Toxins introduced to the tank is an issue (Like medications).. It is fairly difficult at this point to ID cause or reason for the fishes death.. Definitely a bummer here..

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
did you treat them with prazi pro? i used to offer it to mine since when i got them they was all on live foods only did it every 6 months
I'm sorry but did the fish actually show that for some reason it needed or needs to be treated? If it does not then don't is the best coarse of action. just shotgunning meds at it for the hell of it is a poor solution to unwarranted fears..

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
Sorry about your gar...you should continue to fool with it. It could have been something specifc to the gar if all other parameters are good. Are there other tank mates? My florida never behaved as such, so its hard for me to tell (maybe I have a lazy one bc mine is overly chill all the time). This is opposite to my shortnose who is a little crazy. The water flow in my tank is much more than I would probably like, but they do okay in it. I will say that I do not have any decor in the tank though, but I don't know if that would make much of a difference. Also I'm not sure if parasites would cause a fish to behave any differently. I'm sure over time you may be able to figure it out bc you watched it everyday and are aware of behavioral and tank changes. I say get another one if they make you happy. Sorry again.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ok im realy having trouble with this website. it stops responding when i try to reply. anyway 2 of my feeder fish died in 10 minutes after being in my gar enclosure. ok they are doing fine in my 10g. both tanks have the same stuff done to them as far as preporation goes. Could it be the malaysian driftwood in the gar enclosure?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store