Gar behavior. Strange or normal?

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
New to the forums with a Question. My florida gar is acting strange. He'll be swimming forward and suddenly curl his tail and kind of go backwards. Sometimes 3 to 4 times before moving forward again. Appears as something is irritating him. Water temp. is at 78. PH at 7.2. Nitrate and nitrite at 0. Hardness at somewhere between 0 and 25. He didnt do it much before. But more often as time goes on. His color appears good and he looks to be in good health. Any suggestions?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
New to the forums with a Question. My florida gar is acting strange. He'll be swimming forward and suddenly curl his tail and kind of go backwards. Sometimes 3 to 4 times before moving forward again. Appears as something is irritating him. Water temp. is at 78. PH at 7.2. Nitrate and nitrite at 0. Hardness at somewhere between 0 and 25. He didnt do it much before. But more often as time goes on. His color appears good and he looks to be in good health. Any suggestions?
Man its a fish in a tank! They do a million odd things. If the water is good and there are no obvious signs of parasite or injury ur fine. Sounds like a big fish in a small tank trying to swim

#1 S. Vettel

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Well its about 9in long and in a 75g tank.
Ok thats not bad! When i had mine it would act just like urs w/ the backing up and stuff. There just curious critters!! If it eats then its fine!

#1 S. Vettel

dscort

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2009
NW Ohio
My largest does that almost every feeding time. It seems its nervous of bumping into the driftwood, which is still about 4 inches behind it. I like the S shape when it swings its head too...

Sent from my PG06100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
Ok guys the gar was fine this morning. When I came home from work he was dead. I have no idea why. The water seems to test fine. As if work wasnt bad enough. I had to come home to this.

Brian287

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2012
Kentucky
Very Odd... Can you elaborate some more on this "Tail curling"?
Kind of hard to explain. I should have got a video. It was always swimming back and fourth across the front of the tank night before it died. It would be swimming forward then curl its tail around then straighten it back then do it again. Sometimes several times beofre going back to normal. It would probably act about the same as if it were hung up in some weeds or something. Kind of like it was confused on what it wanted to do. The fish has no signs of injury or disease. And it had good coloration to it to. Im seriously bummed out about it. Just brought it some food home to eat too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store