DIY 45 gallon tub pond

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
thats my plan for now. I've got the caulk gun loaded with some silicon sitting in my living room now, but a lot have people have been telling me that silicon doesn't stick to these stock tanks very well and that I should try to find a new bulkhead.

Any advice on how to make sure the ground/hole is flat? I have a level, but I'm worried that the ground will settle in/ change after a while of having this weight on it

Maor0

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2011
Israel
love your work!

MissMaddylyn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
I'm not sure how well it would work for fish, but when I tried to make my water tank for my horses level, I used a variety of sediment underneath. Dug the hole, used large gravel, then slightly smaller, til I got to pea size, then filled the rest with dirt. Never had to worry about it shifting.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Very nice, I have one half the size but it's only for fish keeping and not decorated as nice as yours :)

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
So i went to a specialty pond/koi store yesterday and picked up a few new plants DSC_0101.JPG

That makes the current plant list : duckweed, hornwort, anacharis, water hyacinth, parrot feather, and longwood canna. The driftwood is temporary. It is being soaked/sunk for now so I can put it into an aquarium.

DSC_0101.JPG

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
Thanks for the advice MissMaddylyn! How many gallons was the water tank that you used this for?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Any advice on how to make sure the ground/hole is flat? I have a level, but I'm worried that the ground will settle in/ change after a while of having this weight on it
When I buried my rubbermaid stock tanks, I dug a hole, put the stock tank in with the lip of the tank above ground level, leveled the stock tank off, and then backfilled the hole with sand and clay dirt mixed with water. Solid as a rock and level. The stock tanks have been in the ground for about 4 years.

Fishoreel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2011
S. GA
When I buried my rubbermaid stock tanks, I dug a hole, put the stock tank in with the lip of the tank above ground level, leveled the stock tank off, and then backfilled the hole with sand and clay dirt mixed with water. Solid as a rock and level. The stock tanks have been in the ground for about 4 years.
I did the same thing with container for my turtles I had. It's been in the same place for a year now and it's still level.

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
Cool, I'll definitely have to give that a try in the next week or two!

I'm also in need of plant advice.
1. I still havn't repotted/replanted the canna that I got yesterday, should I?
2. I've been considering getting a pitcher plant, but i worry that it would eat too many of the insects that the fish reley on for their main food source. Do they actually trap enough insects to have an impact?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store