Leopard Ctenopoma

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Mine grew like .5 inches per month (roughly) but slowed considerably after like 4 / 4.5 they were like a year and abit old when they bred the first time

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Do you know how long they live, or if breeding shorten their lifespan?

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
The spawning description is great. I'd lke to know how and on what the fry were fed until they could take the same foods the adults are fed.
I fed them baby brine shrimp, then adult brine shrimp and when they're big enough I switched to baby guppies then I started pellet training

Do you know how long they live, or if breeding shorten their lifespan?
Im not sure weather breeding shortens their lifespan or not, sorry :/ and internet sources say they can live for 15 years or so.

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I fed them baby brine shrimp, then adult brine shrimp and when they're big enough I switched to baby guppies then I started pellet training

Im not sure weather breeding shortens their lifespan or not, sorry :/ and internet sources say they can live for 15 years or so.

Did they have any trouble find the baby brine shrimp?

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Did they have any trouble find the baby brine shrimp?
Not really. Once I figured out that the parents were eating fry I moved the rest to a 10 gallon so they really didnt have much trouble finding the shrimp in a small space. They have excellent hunting instincts even from a very young age so they had really no problems eating

giant19000

Fahaka
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
THE AMAZON
Heres a pic of my old pair this pic was taken about a year before they did it the first time. Unfortunately the male died a couple months after the first time breeding.

That's another way to sex these guys notice diffrrnt snouts/mouths,heads

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sundew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
I have three adults and they eat broken up algae wafers, they will also take bits of fish or shrimp. Right now they are in a SA fish setup with silver dollars, a albino pacu, some Geophagus surinamensis and some red hooks. Would like them in an all African setup and may eventually move them. They are quite peaceful to anything too large to swallow.

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
How well do ctenopomas do with bigger aggressive tankmates? In my 75 I have a delhezi, congo tetras, and a small green terror. I was planning on getting 3 Ctenopomas for the tank. The tank has a large piece of driftwood that will be covered with plants so the cteno's will have good cover.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The Congos should pose the least trouble,not sure about the bichir and the GT might be a problem when it gets bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store